Post by peteVA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:42 am

I'm pissed.

I went through a complete description of my problem, gave links and login info for the admin, entered the captcha code and got an error page on Q's website. Back to sQuare 1.

Last week nothing but MySQL errors when I tried going there. Don't know what's the deal, but I'm not anxious to post login details on any forum.

Damn, I hate starting from scratch after detailing it all one time and having it vanish.

Here goes -

I have Categories with several Sub-categories. I wish to have a quantity discount across the entire category, so if someone buys any combination of products, or just a quantity of one product, the same discount applies. And, it should also apply to the optional items that may be added with the main item.

Just not happening. Simply order 10 of 1 item and get no discount. No sense even going further, this is as basic as it gets, and it's not working.

I have the discount set up properly, I think - 3:4%, 5:8%, 7:12%, 9:18%, 11:20%, 21:22.5%, 51:25%, 101:27.5%

I have tried ticking the Unique box and the Status box, although I see nothing in the instructions about the Status box. Makes no difference.

I have not entered the discount schedule into the sub-cats, as I want the discount to stand above them and include all items from all of the sub-cats.

Here's a link - http://wholesale-district.com/dropship/ ... oduct_id=1

A Trusted Wholesale Dropshipper
Web Hosting Under $ 5.00 Month! FREE Shopping Carts!
25,000+ Real Wholesale & Dropship Sources!

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:40 am

peteVA wrote:Back to sQuare 1.
:D
Last week nothing but MySQL errors when I tried going there. Don't know what's the deal, but I'm not anxious to post login details on any forum.
I've just switched hosts so hopefully this problem should be gone for good now.
I have Categories with several Sub-categories. I wish to have a quantity discount across the entire category, so if someone buys any combination of products, or just a quantity of one product, the same discount applies. And, it should also apply to the optional items that may be added with the main item.

Just not happening. Simply order 10 of 1 item and get no discount. No sense even going further, this is as basic as it gets, and it's not working.
Well the issue here is exactly that. You are trying to include all subs with the discount from the parent. The mod was designed so that each category handles its own discounts, regardless of sub/parent relationship. Parent category across all subs isn't a supported option at this time.

Status has no instructions because I assume by now we all know what status means (enable/disable)

Administrator

Post by peteVA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:52 am

What's the chances of getting it done?

As you are well aware, I'm no coder, but if all the infrastructure is there, it shouldn't be too complicated. Just a bit of hierarchy.

I honestly thought I'd asked about this way back at the start of v4 and have been thinking it was possible all along.

Not accusing, just had that in my mind, which has been subject to certain hallucinatory substances from time to time.

Post by Xsecrets » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:34 am

peteVA wrote: As you are well aware, I'm no coder, but if all the infrastructure is there, it shouldn't be too complicated. Just a bit of hierarchy.
I just love statements like this. Hierarchy basically implies recursion which many programmers don't even really understand, then on top of that what you are wanting requires recursion up then back down with checks at each level in both directions. So yeah it's more that just a little complicated.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by peteVA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:56 am

So, back to CubeCart, I guess.

Got a mod for that which worked just fine. Hate the rest of it though.....

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:05 am

yea.. i took a quick look.. recursion is a process I sometimes stumble with.. especially in this case trying to accumulate qty across parent/child hierarchies. It was not immediately obvious how to add this, which is probably why I didn't add it to begin with.

Administrator

Post by peteVA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:49 am

Actually, if I make the item of both the main and the sub the discount works getting to the product either way. Including the options, which is what I wanted.

But it puts the items / images up twice, both under the main cat, which I did not want, and then under the sub.

It will just make loading a bit slower and can get a bit confusing. But the discount will do what I want, so I can avoid CubeCart.

Just need to port my favorite CubeCart modder over to OpenCart..................

Post by Xsecrets » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:52 am

yeah and the issue with the recursion on this one is you'll have to recurse up the tree from the product checking each level if another discount is set then you would have to recurse back down from the first level category to find all the other categories once again checking to see if a discount is set there so you can exclude it, and all the while storing everything somehow so that you can match up which products get which discount. It would get very complicated.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by peteVA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:07 am

Not in my case, just one discount for the main cat and 3 cats under the main. I don't do others and no coupons, etc. Just Mix or Match on MP$s and MP3s.

The real issue / shame is that there are hundreds, no thousands of people looking for this capability and I don't know of any carts - and I've loaded and played with more than 50 - that offer this. The one mod for CubeCart is the only one that truly has the full discount by category or sub-category feature.

Just stop and think, there is not a grocery store or drug store ad that does not say buy 3 get one free or but 1 $5,, 2 for $9, 3 for $12, etc. This is everyday sales tactics in the real world, but shopping cart coders just ignore it.

Every cart forum I go to and mention it, there will be 6 more who say - yeah, i would like that, too.

It is not an unusual thing in the real world, it is almost impossible to find with carts.

You can probably dream up 42 reasons for it not working, but if no one tries, it will never work.

Anyhow, this does what I need so I take back all the bad stuff I ever said about Q. :)

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 am

perhaps I can do it another way with some sort of linking method where I allow you to "Group" categories.. not necessarily subs and parents, but let you choose which categories belong to the same "group" and all categories in the group are summed together... i'll have to think on it.

Administrator

Post by peteVA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:41 pm

There you go. As it is is fine with me, but you are missing a lot of folks you could bring to OC - and sell the mod. It's not a "make Pete happy" thing, it's a useful product.

Post by Qphoria » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 pm

well i just want to make pete happy ;) ... maybe I'll rename my site to makepetehappy.com .. tho that will likely bring in the wrong crowd...

Administrator

Post by peteVA » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:00 pm

ain't no tellin', now is there?

Could also bring in a bonanza.

Post by anitawos » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:20 pm

I am also having trouble with this discount by category module. I am using opencart Version 1.4.9.3 and the latest module - v148.1.

Not sure what the "status" option in admin is for - it is not mentioned in the readme file.

It is installed per the instructions, and although I am not getting error messages, it is not discounting as expected.

For my test, i have three products each sticky notes with different designs, but they are all priced at $4. each. They are in one category "sticky notes" only.

If I set it to have a particular $ discount (such as "3:2.00") it does not discount the items if i buy (3) of the same at once, but only if I buy one item three times.

If I set it to use a % discount, it gets applied, but then also gets applied to any other items which get added to that cart afterward. Uh-oh.

Maybe it does not work with the newer version of OpenCart?

What I really need is to be able to give a discount when the customer picks any combination of three items in the sale group. This is an absolutely basic form of retail discount. Also - it needs to show up in the basket immediately. Customers do not go to the checkout until the total amount in the cart is correct.

I agree this is an essential mod which seems to be missing from the marketplace.

Comments, suggestions as to how to get this mod to work?

- Anita

Location - Massachusetts, USA

Post by Rich_Mixture » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:28 am

I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned the Category-Based Fee/Discount extension by Clear Thinking. It is not terribly easy to work with, and the creator has admitted that there's a little bug (which is not a big deal at all), but it does exactly what it's supposed to do.

This extension will solve Anita's problem, showing the quantity discount in the cart immediately. I'm not sure about Pete's issue with sub-categories as I haven't needed to try that yet.

Location - Central Florida