Post by jcgadgets » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:31 am

Hi,

For some reason, when a category, some product images are a lot taller than others, even though they should be all uniformly sized.
Original shape of taller image:

--------
| |
| |
| |
--------

Original shape of shorter image:

----------------------
| |
| |
---------------------

I would just go shorten the actual version of the larger image, then maybe add some white space to the sides as well. However, I don't want the image to look poor / low res or something when people enlarge the image on the product page. Is this a known problem or has anyone got an idea on how to fix it?

I'm using OpenCart v. 1.4.9.3. The problem is independent of the theme I use.

Thank you!
Jared

Post by justinv » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:58 pm

You could probably fix this by using square images. I think OpenCart image.php resizes the larger dimension (width or height) to the required dimension. This means some images will be narrow, some will be short. Square ones will be perfect :)

Documentation: OpenCart User Guide
Mods: Total Import PRO | CSV Import PRO | Ecom Tracking | Any Feed | Autosuggest | OpenCart CDN

Post by jefrey1983 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:05 pm

easy fix is convert all your image to 500x500px don't like the auto resize or convert your image height to 500px

Post by Xsecrets » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:22 pm

the images are not shorter, though it might look that way. what is happening is opencart resizes the images to fit within your defined image size while keeping the same aspect ratio then places that on a white background. It does this so that none of the images look distorted, however if you actually use something like firebug to outline the image you will see that all the images are the same size it's just that the visible portion (the old image) will be differently sized. This is done to avoid distortions the only way to keep them all uniform would be to input all your images with the same aspect ratio.

OpenCart commercial mods and development http://spotonsolutions.net
Layered Navigation
Shipment Tracking
Vehicle Year/Make/Model Filter

Guru Member

Location - FL US

Post by jcgadgets » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 pm

Hey everyone,

Thank you for your replies and explanations. I guess I will just have to leave things as they are, as I don't want to be messing up the real images for viewing the product pages or enlarging their images. I think I'll change the image re size dimensions to help combat it a bit, but that's about it.

Anyone know how to change the size of the images in the featured box?

Thanks again!
Jared

Post by irowley » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:29 pm

This is about graphic design, proportional sizing. I'd suggest make sure the store's image settings in the control panel (system->settings->image) are all proportional one to another. For example 100x50 is proportional to 200x100. If your image settings aren't proportional, some will be get padded with white spaces to fill a different dimension.

On your second question before 1.5 the feature images were configured by "product list size". Now with version 1.5.1 there is a place to set feature sizes in the feature module.