Post by pholix » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:49 am

Hi, im running PHP Version 5.1.6 and the latest opencart requires PHP Version 5.2

Is there a workaround for this, i.e. making the latest open cart run on 5.1.6?

I currently rent a server from 1and1 and they offer no real support with their servers - ive tried to manually update php in the past and literally killed the server - its 64bit and any kind of updates are a nightmare.

has anyone got any experience of updating a 64bit 1and1 server to get the latest PHP - id be very grateful for any advice on this - desperate to purchase one of the templates too.

Thanks in advance.

Post by MattW » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:29 pm

Is this is Linux server?

I've no experiance updating a 1and1 server, but I've got 3 servers of my own, and all are now running PHP 5.3.10 and have been simply upgraded using YUM.

Location - Sheffield

Post by pholix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:29 am

;D ops - below.
Last edited by pholix on Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:38 am, edited 13 times in total.

Post by pholix » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:31 am

MattW,

Thanks for your reply - it is a linux server. Ive tried yum a few times - it runs for about 4 mins and at the end says there was a problem with the update. this then leaves the server with a damaged container and doesn't work properly afterwards.

Im sure this is just because its a 1and1 server as they have a different config somehow - its 64bit aswell which tends to be a pain with lib files.

Perseverance has given me the answer - for anyone running a linux server with plesk interface - you can update your PHP version through plesk.

just go to updates - and through a couple of menus you will find a radio button to update PHP, its usually next to the version of PHP that your running.

8)

Post by MattW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:32 pm

Ah, good old Plesk! I moved away from Plesk 3 years ago, and now use Cpanel on my main server, and run the other two without a control panel, which makes updating things such as PHP and MySQL much easier.

Location - Sheffield