Post by raymanj » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:03 am

I have set many of my products to have minimum quantities to order. If a customer goes to the product page they will see the minimum quantity. If the button "Add to Cart" is selected then the minimum is added to the shopping cart.

The problem occurs when the customer is on the list products page and clicks the "add to cart" button the minimum quantity rules are not obeyed. A quantity of 1 is entered for the shopping cart.

Is this a bug or do I need to change something?

OC v1.5.3.1
Last edited by Avvici on Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Moved, title adjusted

Post by Avvici » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:15 am

Wow, good find. This truly is a flaw....and needs rectifying. I will work up a vQmod to fix it for the time being. Will be ready by tomorrow. I'll pass this along.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by Daniel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:04 am

there is a big red notice when you get to the cart page!

OpenCart®
Project Owner & Developer.

Administrator

Post by Avvici » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:49 am

With all due respect Daniel, we all know about that notice. That notice is a little late in the game. Why force the actual minimum number in the quantity box on product details page but not force a minimum on category listing page? Both have Add To Cart buttons. Both need to function the same. Your current solution allows people to add a gazillion items to their ajax cart with wrong quantities "which is actually 1" only to find out later? They might get lucky enough to be redirected to the product details page because the item has REQUIRED OPTIONS but why count on that?

There is already a redirect in the add() function within the checkout control. Why not add a check if > 1 for minimum? That way it will take them to product details page where they need to be and the item won't be added to the ajax cart.

It's counter intuitive at the least....at the most it's a waste of customers time. These are just my thoughts. Not asking you to reinvent the wheel:)

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by JAY6390 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:14 am

I imagine the check could be made easily in checkout/cart/update to add the minimum if there's not enough, or return a json error if it's below minimum stating that the minimum is X and to add via the product page

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by rph » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:27 am

Throwing it on-page like with JSON option errors would probably be best.

-Ryan

rph
Expert Member

Location - Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by i2Paq » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:33 am

Daniel wrote:there is a big red notice when you get to the cart page!
Could be, but why have a minimum amount on the product page but you can ignore that when ordering it from the product list?

If it is not considered a bug at least classify it as a (big) flaw.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by merry » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:47 am

Oh, dear, the big red notice is too late in the buying cycle. Where the merchant should be clinching the sale, instead customers will have dissonance when they have to fix their quantities. This will cause customers to not trust the store and abandon their cart. Other customers who are in a hurry and don't read the notice will purchase the wrong quantities, then the merchants will be re-shipping the correct quantity at their own expense.

OpenCart really is better than this.

Merry

Most answers are from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual CURRENT TO 1.5.5.1 and includes free updates.
FREE HELP! 60-page user guide with OpenCart Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Install Guide & 30 Minute QuickStart Guide: http://showmeguides.com/

Location - Mexico and sometimes Texas

Post by inactiveaccount9912 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:20 am

avvici wrote: There is already a redirect in the add() function within the checkout control. Why not add a check if > 1 for minimum? That way it will take them to product details page where they need to be and the item won't be added to the ajax cart.
I think that would be a great ideea, just like when it has options. Would also be cool if when out of stock redirects to product page because even tho the product is out of stock, on product page you would see the actual status (2-3 days, pre-order etc) and that might help the customer decide if he should buy the products at that time.

Expert Member

Post by merry » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:23 am

florinsith wrote:
avvici wrote: There is already a redirect in the add() function within the checkout control. Why not add a check if > 1 for minimum? That way it will take them to product details page where they need to be and the item won't be added to the ajax cart.
I think that would be a great idea, just like when it has options. Would also be cool if when out of stock redirects to product page because even tho the product is out of stock, on product page you would see the actual status (2-3 days, pre-order etc) and that might help the customer decide if he should buy the products at that time.
Elegant.

Merry

Most answers are from my OpenCart 1.5 User Manual CURRENT TO 1.5.5.1 and includes free updates.
FREE HELP! 60-page user guide with OpenCart Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Install Guide & 30 Minute QuickStart Guide: http://showmeguides.com/

Location - Mexico and sometimes Texas

Post by Avvici » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:40 am

Another solution would be to just automatically add the minimum to the $quantity variable depending upon if min quantity check returns true and > 1. This way ajax cart adds an accurate number to the cart and no redirect takes place. Problem with this is that there is no notice of this happening. Customer thinks they are adding one...when it may be 6.

Something simple like this:

Code: Select all

if($product_info['minimum']){

if($product_info['minimum'] > 1){
					 $quantity = $product_info['minimum'];
				 }

}

if (!$json) {
				$this->cart->add($this->request->post['product_id'], $quantity, $option);

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by samolesong76 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:37 pm

i2Paq wrote:
Could be, but why have a minimum amount on the product page but you can ignore that when ordering it from the product list?

If it is not considered a bug at least classify it as a (big) flaw.
This is one of the first fixes I did when I downloaded 1.5.3.1. My shop has many min quantities and it wasn't going over well. Thanks for looking in to it.

Post by i2Paq » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:45 pm

avvici wrote:Another solution would be to just automatically add the minimum to the $quantity variable depending upon if min quantity check returns true and > 1. This way ajax cart adds an accurate number to the cart and no redirect takes place. Problem with this is that there is no notice of this happening. Customer things they are adding one...when it may be 6.

Something simple like this:

Code: Select all

if($product_info['minimum']){

if($product_info['minimum'] > 1){
					 $quantity = $product_info['minimum'];
				 }

}

if (!$json) {
				$this->cart->add($this->request->post['product_id'], $quantity, $option);
That is THE best solution, and maybe there should be a small notice that this product has a minimum ordering amount and that it has been automatically adjusted.
Like there is now the information bar telling the customer there is a minimum ordering amount.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Daniel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:31 am

i don't think you have fully thought this out.

1st. the minimum order quantity is the default quantity in the quantity field on the product page next the add to cart button. a customer has to change this quantity him self and will see the minimum amount notice on the product page.

2nd. how do you know how many a customer is going to buy? the products may have options where they decide to buy 10 green 5 red etc..

the red banner is in the right place.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by i2Paq » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:59 am

Daniel wrote:i don't think you have fully thought this out.

1st. the minimum order quantity is the default quantity in the quantity field on the product page next the add to cart button. a customer has to change this quantity him self and will see the minimum amount notice on the product page.

2nd. how do you know how many a customer is going to buy? the products may have options where they decide to buy 10 green 5 red etc..

When ordering from the product list you get a green bar telling you the product has been added to your Cart.
If someone continues to shop and add more product he / she will only see that red bar when checking out.

I find this confusing looking from a customer perspective.

Maybe instead of adding it to the Cart it should redirect you to the product-page it self like when a product has options.
Second there could be the red bar telling the customer that he / she needs to order the minimum amount.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by Avvici » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:06 am

Daniel wrote:i don't think you have fully thought this out.

Yes, the red banner is in the correct place and serves its purpose in the main shopping cart page.
Let me simplify things:
If I go to target to purchase 10 items all of which have a minimum quantity of 10 it's like taking 2 hours to shop only for a checkout clerk (after standing in the checkout line for 20 minutes) to tell you that there is a minimum quantity. The checkout clerk == your red banner on the cart page.
Customers shopping at Target need a notice about the minimum quantity at the time they take it off the shelf otherwise they'd be wasting their time.

Obviously this doesn't matter for product.tpl add to cart. Only for category.tpl add to cart

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by Daniel » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 pm

again! the default quantity is the minimum order quantity with a minimum notice next to the field. the customer knows the quantity before they change it. so they know before waiting in the queue. you seem to be arguing rather then just saying yes your right. instead to check the add to cart from the categories page.

OpenCart®

Administrator

Post by Avvici » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:02 pm

Daniel wrote:again! the default quantity is the minimum order quantity with a minimum notice next to the field. the customer knows the quantity before they change it. so they know before waiting in the queue. you seem to be arguing rather then just saying yes your right. instead to check the add to cart from the categories page.
First, No one is arguing.

Second, you do realize we are talking about category.tpl? This isn't about product.tpl. You can't even change the quantity on category.tpl. There is only an add to cart button which defaults to a quantity of one when adding. This was the ENTIRE problem to begin with. If there was no AJAX cart it wouldn't matter but the fact of the matter is that there is which allows one to peruse a bunch of category pages adding tons of items to cart all of which have a minimum quantity unknowingly to them. If you can't see that then so be it. No harm no foul.

Expert Member

Location - Asheville, NC

Post by i2Paq » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:31 pm

avvici wrote:You do realize we are talking about category.tpl? This isn't about product.tpl. You can't even change the quantity on category.tpl. There is only an add to cart button which defaults to a quantity of one when adding. This was the ENTIRE problem to begin with. If there was no AJAX cart it wouldn't matter but the fact of the matter is that there is which allows one to peruse a bunch of category pages adding tons of items to cart all of which have a minimum quantity unknowingly to them. If you can't see that then so be it. No harm no foul.
@ Daniel, read what I wrote earlier about a solution.
i2Paq wrote: Maybe instead of adding it to the Cart it should redirect you to the product-page it self like when a product has options.
Second there could be the red bar telling the customer that he / she needs to order the minimum amount.
From a customers (my customer or any customer visiting a OpenCart based store) point of view it is a FLAW, an un-logical way of how it should work.

Maybe you disagree, but it is the customer (my customer ar anyone else's) that should have an easy way of using the shop, not the programmer that thinks what he does is the only way workable way.

Norman in 't Veldt

Global Moderator

Post by MarketInSG » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:16 am

i2Paq has a point here. I will say go with redirecting to the product page, just like how options work. The customer will then see that there's a minimum order of xx amount. So he knows that he has to pick the right quantity.

Looking from daniel's point of view, he makes a point too. We won't know how many quantity the customer wants. There's many permutation to this. So I would say checking for minimum quantity OR forcing minimum quantity at the category page is a 'no good'. I will say i2Paq idea is better :D it solves both sides of a problem

Guru Member

Location - Singapore