Post by James » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:20 pm

OpenCart 2.0 has been released at alpha stage, please do not download this to use on a live store though!

We are inviting developers and users of OpenCart to test the new software and help iron out any issues before the official 2.0 launch next month.

You can download the latest master branch from GitHub (as changes are made we will be adding git tags in the format of 2.0.0.0a1). There is lots of updates happening right now so always ensure you update with the latest version before reporting an issue.

What are we looking for?
Basically, everything that doesn't work or doesn't work correctly. If you see our current bug tracker you will see many examples of things we have found.

How to report a bug?
You need to register on our new bug tracker - it takes a minute and will give you access to create a new issue, comment on others and also vote.

Our new tracker has an awesome browser plugin called "Jira Capture" download here
You can take a screen shot, add information about the bug and even send your environment data (browser, screen size, os etc - all helps with finding issues!).

What about suggestions?
2.0 is already full of new features, we are now focussed on getting it ready for release. We will be adding a new suggestions site and planning a road map for 2.1 after general release of 2.0.

Anything else I can do?
Lots! For testing we need general users to play with and break OpenCart, more advanced testing will require developers to look at code and see if it is done as securely and efficiently as possible.

If you are a PHP developer or a designer with great HTML/CSS skills, you can help by looking at the open issues and creating pull requests for us to review and merge on GitHub.

As a big thank you to everyone who gets involved, on our first blog & newsletter for 2.0 we will add a list of everyone (and you can include a link to your website too)

If you have any special skills for Jenkins CI, Selenium writing, unit testing, Code sniffer or Advanced SQL - Please PM me!

James

Location - Leeds, UK

Post by i2Paq » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:35 pm

If you want you can also download the alpha release Dutch.

Norman in 't Veldt
Moderator OpenCart Forums

_________________ READ and Search BEFORE POSTING _________________

Our FREE search: Find your answer FAST!.

[How to] BTW + Verzend + betaal setup.

Global Moderator

Location - Winkel - The Netherlands

Post by helloyall » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:29 am

Will it be compatible with NGINX-based server? I just discovered it and found out that it's much faster and efficient than Apache. I'd love to have OpenCart 2.0 to be compatible / native to Nginx ;D

Post by James » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:54 pm

helloyall wrote:Will it be compatible with NGINX-based server? I just discovered it and found out that it's much faster and efficient than Apache. I'd love to have OpenCart 2.0 to be compatible / native to Nginx ;D
It has not yet been tested on it, why not give it a try and report your results?

Location - Leeds, UK

Post by OSWorX » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:39 pm

James wrote:
helloyall wrote:Will it be compatible with NGINX-based server? I just discovered it and found out that it's much faster and efficient than Apache. I'd love to have OpenCart 2.0 to be compatible / native to Nginx ;D
It has not yet been tested on it, why not give it a try and report your results?
Had until today no problems running OC (1.5.x or 2.x) on NGINX.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by James » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 pm

@osworx - did you need any specific settings or changes?

Location - Leeds, UK

Post by OSWorX » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:16 pm

James wrote:@osworx - did you need any specific settings or changes?
No - well the server is optimized for webshops and secured (e.g.suhosin).
But we had nothing special to change for OC.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by MarketInSG » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:15 am

The new modification system is missing out the 'index' tag though the documentation says it exists. Have it been removed, and what's the alternative if it has?

I just had a play with the modification system and it searches so precisely, not sure if it's good or bad

So if we search for the following and position=after

Code: Select all

$_
what it will do will add contents between $_ and the brackets, so it end up looking like

$_xxx['text_heading']
If we used vqmod, it will end up with the contents after that line, instead of inserting between the searched values.

$_['text_heading']
xxx
Also, will vQmod still be offered to the people? Perhaps some thoughts on this?

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by James » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:19 am

Hold off on any dev with the ocmod - spoke with Daniel today and offset will be changing (so you can offset by X lines like vqmod was). One of my old staff created a PR that I am reviewing again later, very probably that it will be merged in now to offer the missing elements.

https://github.com/opencart/opencart/pull/1540

Location - Leeds, UK

Post by Qphoria » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:57 am

MarketInSG wrote: Also, will vQmod still be offered to the people? Perhaps some thoughts on this?
We are looking at ocmod and vQmod to see what has changed and if it is worthwhile to port vQmod to 2.0 or not or if ocmod is good enough.

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:05 am

We have a modified admin/controller/extension/modification.php which supports VQMod 2.4.1 XML syntax for OpenCart 2.0, has been there for a while. I suggested to Daniel some months ago to use the VQmod XML syntax rather than the OCmod XML, because VQmod has more features and it is lines-based, whereas OCmod uses a single big string buffer for the modifications.

I have also ported the Override Engine to OpenCart 2.0, it now uses cached files for modified core templates and classes instead of variable streams, will release it soon.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:02 am

James wrote: How to report a bug?
You need to register on our new bug tracker - it takes a minute and will give you access to create a new issue, comment on others and also vote.

Our new tracker has an awesome browser plugin called "Jira Capture" download here
You can take a screen shot, add information about the bug and even send your environment data (browser, screen size, os etc - all helps with finding issues!).

What about suggestions?
2.0 is already full of new features, we are now focussed on getting it ready for release. We will be adding a new suggestions site and planning a road map for 2.1 after general release of 2.0.
Can we please have a simpler and quicker way to report bugs? github already allows reporting bugs (not very user friendly, but it works), Jira Capture is even more user-unfriendly.

As regards suggestions: IMHO OpenCart 2.0 needs some improvements in its MVC framework, to make it more extension friendly, we posted a few suggestions earlier this year, can these be considered before rushing out a final OC 2.0 release?

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by MarketInSG » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:33 am

JNeuhoff wrote:We have a modified admin/controller/extension/modification.php which supports VQMod 2.4.1 XML syntax for OpenCart 2.0, has been there for a while.
this seems better as vqmod is much more feature rich and it would be better if we stick to that. The new ocmod system changes the syntax and the way it searches, which will need us to change almost everything we have.

Also, will rushing for a release in September be too rush? Plenty of bugs to crush and the modification system need a little improvement.

Not sure if anyone noticed too, but is it really necessary to FTP the files again after you have uploaded the zip file from the installer?

Guru Member

Location - Singapore

Post by villagedefrance » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:42 pm

Just a couple of things I would like to propose:

1 - Could we make the link to the Shop frontend more obvious from Admin dashboard?
Maybe using the the "cart" icon next to the "help" icon?

2 - The Carousel module/script doesn't work.
Could I suggest to use the excellent Owl Carousel script? http://owlgraphic.com/owlcarousel/

That's all for now ... I keep testing

OpenCart custom solutions @ https://villagedefrance.net

Location - UK

Post by villagedefrance » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:53 pm

... here is a bit more :

- "Recent Activity" box content in Dashboard doesn't seem to be displaying correctly. Entries are aligned to the left, with possibly to many line returns.

- On completing an order in frontend, the button "Confirm Order" jumps briefly to "Continue" while the form is being processed, before coming back to "Confirm Order" and then moves on normally to the success page.

- Occasionally, a "Not Defined" popup message comes out in Dashboard. It seems to be after a transaction or a Customer Registration has taken place in frontend. The Dashboard does refresh correctly after that.

OpenCart custom solutions @ https://villagedefrance.net

Location - UK

Post by James » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:56 pm

@villagedefrance - post these on the tracker please. Some of them are already there.

Location - Leeds, UK

Post by Ruslan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:40 pm

James, can you explain in two words what "event" is?

Post by James » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:00 pm

Ruslan wrote:James, can you explain in two words what "event" is?
Why? Read the wiki: https://github.com/opencart/opencart/wi ... fications)

Location - Leeds, UK

Post by JAY6390 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:11 pm

The event system is similar to the hook system in wordpress. Why you wanted that in two words though, I'm really not sure. I think James or anyone for that matter would have difficulty explaining it in two words, since by it's very definition an explanation is going to be a thorough description :laugh:

Guru Member

Location - United Kingdom

Post by billynoah » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:07 pm

Let me take a shot at this per the wiki:

Word #1: Eventsaremethodnotificationshooksthat
Word #2: arecalledwhenanactiontakesplace