Post by jooy123 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:47 am

Switching to Open Cart. Several problems. Help appreciated.
I am using Zen Cart but now we want to go Open Cart. The look and feel seems much more up to date. The admin interface reminds me of wordpress. This being said, there are many issues, I hope open cart is not buggy.

1. I upload new themes via FTP. But these themes never appear in the admin interface. Why?

2. I uploaded Ajax Quick Checkout Lite by Dreamvention via the Admin interface. But I can not use/edit it:
Permission Denied! You do not have permission to access this page, please refer to your system administrator.
All file systems permissions were set during installation.
It is for the right version. 2.3.0.2

3. The main page is now always empty. How do I populate it automatically with a specific category?

Post by htwp » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:21 am

jooy123 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:47 am
Switching to Open Cart. Several problems. Help appreciated.
I am using Zen Cart but now we want to go Open Cart. The look and feel seems much more up to date. The admin interface reminds me of wordpress. This being said, there are many issues, I hope open cart is not buggy.

1. I upload new themes via FTP. But these themes never appear in the admin interface. Why?

2. I uploaded Ajax Quick Checkout Lite by Dreamvention via the Admin interface. But I can not use/edit it:
Permission Denied! You do not have permission to access this page, please refer to your system administrator.
All file systems permissions were set during installation.
It is for the right version. 2.3.0.2

3. The main page is now always empty. How do I populate it automatically with a specific category?
You need to definitely read opencart documentation to start using it.

1. You must enable the theme (i assume you downloaded the right version) in Extensions->>Extensions->>Themes (Select From Dropdown) >> Edit (Your Theme) >> Theme Directory (Select Your theme in dropdown and press Save). Your theme will be changed.

2.Go to System->>Users->>User Groups->>Administrator click the pencil(edit) then click the "select all" for both access and modifyPermission.

3. Dont have much time right now to explain (sorry) but you can take a look in http://docs.opencart.com/ how to enable them.

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 am

and just in case, that/if you possibly don't receive sufficient attention around here, trying to find out,
after reading yourselfs trough, what's linked below, you will have the fundamental knowledge, how to
handle Opencart, from the Admin Point of View.
Good Luck ;)
Ernie
---
https://isenselabs.com/books/allbooks
---
http://www.aldus.co.in/doc/Documentatio ... megnorblog
---
http://www.opencartexpress.com/how-to-use-ocmod
---
https://github.com/vqmod/vqmod
---
https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/alt ... -cms-22330
---
viewtopic.php?f=190&t=143242&p=651612#p554841
---
http://www.opencartexts.com/smarttools/fontawesome/
---
http://www.tutorialrepublic.com/twitter ... -tutorial/
---

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by jooy123 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:10 pm

"1. You must enable the theme (i assume you downloaded the right version) in Extensions->>Extensions->>Themes (Select From Dropdown) >> Edit (Your Theme) >> Theme Directory (Select Your theme in dropdown and press Save). Your theme will be changed."

There is nothing to be enabled except the standard theme. New Themes don't appear.

Post by jooy123 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:19 pm

And just did some major database operations. Just to get rid of all the countries except USA.
That this is not "out of the box" possible makes me suspicious how well suited Open Cart for production is. Zen Cart may be ugly and the design outdated, but the system is battle hardened.

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:52 am

well, nothing keeps from from using, whatever you like best. OpenCart is a built
to suite worldwide requirements, if one only operates on a region/state-wide level,
there are ~2'500 Code Lines easy to be removed from the DB.

But without getting familiar with MVC-L, Bootstrap, FontAwesome, OcMod, VqMod, e.t.c. first,
one will not get very far, if one really plans, to change/modify existing OC Code and/or Mods.
I quoted some useful links above, take it or kill it again, it's up to you, to decide on, where to go... 8)
Good Luck!
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by jooy123 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:33 pm

"well, nothing keeps from from using, whatever you like best. OpenCart is a built to suite worldwide requirements, if one only operates on a region/state-wide level, there are ~2'500 Code Lines easy to be removed from the DB. "

What I did. I just question the practicality of a script that requires database modification by hand to, for example, disable orders to, let's say Afghanistan. This makes me question, what the targeted users are for this shop.

By the way, I realized that not only Themes, but also "plug ins" don't show up after "successful" installation in Version 2.3.0.2.

Post by htwp » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:36 pm

In your case if it is not too late... i would have installed version 2.1.0.2, in my opinion is the most stable and you will find anything you like in the free or paid extensions. Because you are new to opencart you may find it difficult to understand some things but you will find it very easy if you try to read the opencart documentation. Also many of your questions you are going to have, have been answered already here in the forum so before posting make a search... It worth to give it a try but all depends on you and how much time free you have to read. Also do not forget to check the log in the admin and post here any error because many times if something goes wrong you will see it there.
I hope to find what you want !!!

Post by sculptex » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:55 pm

Its not a great idea to delete all other countries except USA, did you think that would help performance in some way? It would make negligible difference may cause errors on future upgrades. All you needed to do was simply only set up shipping options for USA geo zone and nowhere else.
You seem to be blaming Opencart for things you don't understand.

ImageImage

Location - UK

Post by jooy123 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:31 pm

@htwp "i would have installed version 2.1.0.2"
Okay, was not aware of that. Guess I stick now with the latest version.

@sculptex
"Its not a great idea to delete all other countries except USA, did you think that would help performance in some way? It would make negligible difference may cause errors on future upgrades. All you needed to do was simply only set up shipping options for USA geo zone and nowhere else. You seem to be blaming Opencart for things you don't understand."

No, I would have to update several shops. Some ship to EU only, some to US/CA only. So there are two reasons:
1. Prevent orders from countries that are not served
2. It is just annoying to have to find, let's say the US, out of so many countries during check out. Keep it simple. I also bought the one page checkout solution. Nice.

You suggest there is another way? Well, I googled and all solutions I saw involved SQL code. I saw I was able to disable things inside the admin interface, but if I understood this right, this would have been a couple of 100s, possible 1000s of mouseclicks.

Post by sculptex » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:17 pm

jooy123 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:31 pm
1. Prevent orders from countries that are not served
If no shipping options are set up for other countries (geo zones), they will not be able to check out.
jooy123 wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:31 pm
2. It is just annoying to have to find, let's say the US, out of so many countries during check out. Keep it simple. I also bought the one page checkout solution. Nice.
Okay fair point if you never want to expand to other countries. I'm pretty sure it defaults to selecting the country that the store is set up on though.
Just be aware that if in a future update they add zones to the database, as you have deleted the countries, it may cause an error/warning.

ImageImage

Location - UK

Post by IP_CAM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:36 am

a future update they add zones to the database ..... :laugh: :crazy:

well, after 1.5.x, updates did not work anymore, and so will future updates no longer
match 2.x Version Code, this would therefore be the least problem to be confronted with. 8)

But plain Reality is, that it just does not make sense, to carry a bulkload of unused Data on a DB,
just, to make life a little harder for it. It's really comparable with someone with a weight of 110 Kilos,
compared with someone else with a weight of 70 Kilos, and both doing the same Work,
running around and moving stuff the same way.
Every 'anchor' in a DB has to be 'found' first, ( to my knowledge, up to OC v.2.3.x, OC does
not yet auto-index DB's, neither automatically, nor by any built-in Admin DB Indexer-tool, and
most OC Users probably don't know about ) before a DB is able, to do it's Job, and as smaller
the Book, as faster the Page Number will be 'found'. ;D
Certain Tasks could result in regularely 'walking' trough thousands of unused Country/Zone -
'Anchor/Tags' first, for not one single good reason at all..

But it's not a 'real' Problem, if one does not care about, to settle with a 86/82 Rating at the GTMetrix Test Page,
but as soon as one tries to get above 97/xx, like in real life, little things like that start to count. Especially on shared
low budget Servers, just to mention this too...
Good Luck! ;)
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by sculptex » Wed May 10, 2017 4:10 pm

Since 2.2 updates work again courtesy of Qphoria and others. The point about countries is that the poster made out like it was a crucial process to strip out the countries to stop customers checking out with them, but I don't think they realized the default country for that store would be selected by default. If someone from another country finds their country in the list and tries to checkout and gets a message, no big deal, its informative and they are not a potential customer anyway.
You seem to focus on the performance aspect but I think its negligible. You can use the mod I posted in that other thread to prove/disprove this if you want! There would be far more gain by stripping out multi language/multi currency (if they are unused by that store).

ImageImage

Location - UK

Post by IP_CAM » Wed May 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Since 2.2 updates work again courtesy of Qphoria and others
well, exept for the Extensions, one used in the old Version OC, this problem cannot
be solved, by just updating the OC Software, in most of the cases. Just to mention this!
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland