Post by alex067 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:11 am

Hi everyone, I am using v3

I would like to remove the checkout step 2 "billing address" completely as we sell digital goods and dont require any shipping

also I would like to remove checking step 3 "payment method" since we only use paypal for our payments. So for this one, I would like it to automatically select "paypal express" and remove the payment method

can anyone point ime in the right direction? :)

Post by Johnathan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:09 am

To remove the shipping steps from checkout, make sure all your items are marked as "Requires Shipping: No". That will skip the Shipping Address and Delivery Method steps.

To hide the payment method step, you can use Hide Checkout Steps for that. That should basically it reduce it down to the billing address, and the final order confirmation. That's about as basic as you can get it with the default checkout.

Feel free to take a look at the screenshots and demo site, and if you're interested let me know at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you have any further questions.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by alex067 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Thanks for your reply!

Here is a screenshot of what I want to remove: https://ibb.co/fY9Xsb

as you can see, I still have the billing step and the payment method step. I would like to completely remove the billing step, and for the payment method, I only have paypal. So its defaulted to paypal, but the step is still there! So the step is just redundant, its an extra click for the user, for no reason.

How can I remove these two steps so it goes straight into the checkout phase?

Post by Johnathan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:29 pm

Hide Checkout Steps can remove the Payment Method step (by hiding it and proceeding through it in the background). It doesn't hide the Billing Address step since customers generally need to be able to change their billing address, but if you want to hide that as well I can give you some code for Hide Checkout Steps that does that. That would hide both those steps, and proceed to Confirm.

Keep in mind it just *hides* the steps, so it still has to process them in the background. This adds a slight delay while those are processed, but it's not too significant.

Again, please try out the demo so you can understand how the extension works, and if you decide to purchase it, contact me at www.getclearthinking.com/contact if you'd like the edit to hide the Billing Address step as well.

Administrator

Post by alex067 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:19 am

I understand the process still occurs in the background. The main focus is the limit the number of clicks for the customer to purchase the item.

I have one more question, and I will be testing out your demo and most likely purchasing it with additional questions, thank you once again.

For the billing address, what is the point of it? If we use paypal, the customer still has to log into paypal, and paypal retrieves their billing address from their paypal account, not from opencart. So doesn't the billing address from opencart become redundant? isnt it pointless? because paypal receives the billing address from their own database,not from opencart?

Post by straightlight » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:46 am

alex067 wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:19 am
I understand the process still occurs in the background. The main focus is the limit the number of clicks for the customer to purchase the item.

I have one more question, and I will be testing out your demo and most likely purchasing it with additional questions, thank you once again.

For the billing address, what is the point of it? If we use paypal, the customer still has to log into paypal, and paypal retrieves their billing address from their paypal account, not from opencart. So doesn't the billing address from opencart become redundant? isnt it pointless? because paypal receives the billing address from their own database,not from opencart?
Addresses being stored into Opencart are especially useful for merchants who do not redirect payments to their payment providers from the browser but only on the backend of the store. Collecting addresses are useful, but not the best solution, by using, for example, the Paypal Website Payments Pro (NVP) or Authorize.net CIM to collect information.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by alex067 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:30 am

I see.

So the addresses we collect is purely for data mining purposes, and have nothing to do with third party merchants like Paypal right?

Post by straightlight » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:06 am

Partially true. Opencart does collect customer's information upon orders. Although, these collects of information also have relations with the payment providers whenever a specific or a list of many transactions may be requested.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Johnathan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:37 pm

Whether the billing address is used depends entirely on the payment method. Most payment methods in OpenCart will use the billing address to validate the payment information entered in Step 6. PayPal Standard is one that doesn't (at least, doesn't by default) so if that's your only payment method, then yes it's not info you necessarily need to collect. However, *most* payment gateways do not work that way, and if you only collected that the billing address would not exist in OpenCart (which can be an issue) which is why the billing address is collected during checkout by OpenCart.

Administrator

Post by alex067 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:31 pm

Thanks for your reply!

Do you know if paypal express uses opencarts billing address?

we just want to minimize as many clicks as possible, so for registration, we completely removed the "Your Address" portion, and only require user name, password and email

if we use paypal express or paypal standard, we wouldnt have any issues right? in regards to not providing valid billing addresses via registration

Post by straightlight » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:35 pm

Yes, it does - catalog/controller/extension/payment/pp_express.php file,

Code: Select all

$this->session->data['guest']['payment']['address_1'] = $result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET'];
				if (isset($result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET2'])) {
					$this->session->data['guest']['payment']['address_2'] = $result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOSTREET2'];
				} else {
					$this->session->data['guest']['payment']['address_2'] = '';
				}

Code: Select all

$this->session->data['guest']['payment']['postcode'] = $result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOZIP'];
				$this->session->data['guest']['payment']['city'] = $result['PAYMENTREQUEST_0_SHIPTOCITY'];

The amended address 1 and the optional address 2 are indicated.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by EcogamiShop » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:45 am

Hi,
This post has been solved?
I would like the same: to hide the checkout step 2 "billing address" completely as I sell digital goods and don't require any shipping.
I would like to hide this step (2) and that the "I want to use an existing address" to be automatically selected + continue bouton automatically clicked.
My customers have to be logged to arrive at the check out page. When they check out, I want them to arrive directly on the "Payment method" step.
Someone has a clue to do it?
Thanks.
Eric

Post by straightlight » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:46 am

EcogamiShop wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:45 am
Hi,
This post has been solved?
I would like the same: to hide the checkout step 2 "billing address" completely as I sell digital goods and don't require any shipping.
I would like to hide this step (2) and that the "I want to use an existing address" to be automatically selected + continue bouton automatically clicked.
My customers have to be logged to arrive at the check out page. When they check out, I want them to arrive directly on the "Payment method" step.
Someone has a clue to do it?
Thanks.
Eric
This extension may provide what you need: https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=19748

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON