Post by tsloc » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:33 am

Dear all,

I have just start to work with an extension regarding sitemap for my OC store. When I check the sitemap code for products I see that every image is linked to chached files, and I wonder if this is good or bad for SEO?

For example, a image link in my sitemap looks like below:
"mydomain.com/image/cache/cache/1-1000/258/main/8ae2-productname-03-0-2-1200x1200.jpg"

My setup is OC 2.3.0.2 with Pavilion (ThemeBurn) theme and modules like sitemap and LabelMaker from iSenseLabs for individual picture labels options.

My wonder is simply if this is correct for SEO and Google index for product pictures? Maybe it´s a normal behaivor but the link looks not the best for me. I´m happy for all kind of feedback regarding this.

Best regards Thomas

Post by straightlight » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:27 pm

If you are looking for alternate ways to manipulate your SEO links, there are countless extensions that can be searched on the Marketplace - even free ones that may fit to your needs.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by thekrotek » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Cache in OC is basically just a folder, nothing else. Images in cache are simply a resized copies of the original. There's nothing bad with linking them in sitemap. Moreover, this is the right way.

Professional OpenCart extensions, support and custom work.
Contact me via email or Skype by support@thekrotek.com

Expert Member

Post by tsloc » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:38 pm

Many thanks for your answers!

I saw an answer in one forum thread and the author was talking about the HTACCESS-file and sitemap. When I check my HTACCESS-file I have this code:

RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^sitemap.xml$ index.php?route=extension/feed/google_sitemap [L]

Now I´m using a custom Sitemap extension that works fine. But when it comes to the code in HTACCESS I wonder if this is right to use or if I should change? The current code comes from the original HTACCESS Opencart file. Except this I have updated my robots.txt file and Google Webmaster Tools to my new sitemap URL.

Best regards Thomas

Post by straightlight » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:57 am

Now I´m using a custom Sitemap extension that works fine. But when it comes to the code in HTACCESS I wonder if this is right to use or if I should change?
Contact the extension developer to resolved this issue.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON