Post by TrevorNoah » Wed May 22, 2019 1:41 pm

I have taken several courses including W3 tutorials and freecodecamp’s responsive web design course. I’m doing the projects for the responsive web design module on freecodecamp and after going through the css lessons, so many unexpected things happen when I try to style elements and create a layout.

I’m a CS student in uni and I have felt like this before with python and C++, when that happened I decided I needed to learn more and I was able to do so. But with CSS, I feel like there are so many properties with so many nuances and I have no clue where to begin, I’m starting to feel overwhelmed and frustrated. Is this normal? Should I start going through some more courses or should I keep learning on the fly? What courses/resources would you recommend?

Post by IP_CAM » Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 am

I have no clue where to begin ...
Well, this only depends on what you want to achieve.
And depending on, what Software you will use, you will
get familiar with CSS, as used in that specific Software.
Below linked is a typical OC v.2.0.x type Stylesheet, and
containing, what used on CSS Code in Opencart. And
BOOTSTRAP also plays in important Role today, also
check it's specific ways of using CSS Styles + Classes.
http://getbootstrap.com

The easiest way, to find out, is, to play around with different values,
and check, what changed, and where ... :D

Good Luck!
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by GaiaBudz » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:43 am

TrevorNoah wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:41 pm
I have taken several courses including W3 tutorials and freecodecamp’s responsive web design course. I’m doing the projects for the responsive web design module on freecodecamp and after going through the css lessons, so many unexpected things happen when I try to style elements and create a layout.

I’m a CS student in uni and I have felt like this before with python and C++, when that happened I decided I needed to learn more and I was able to do so. But with CSS, I feel like there are so many properties with so many nuances and I have no clue where to begin, I’m starting to feel overwhelmed and frustrated. Is this normal? Should I start going through some more courses or should I keep learning on the fly? What courses/resources would you recommend?
Funny, I always thought of CSS as one of the easier languages to learn, I have always seen CSS as a more advanced HTML, and PHP a more advanced CSS. No idea if that is how it actually is supposed to be, but that is just how it always felt to me. I feel your pain though, I am currently trying to teach myself PHP and MySQL, and needless to say it has been a some what frustrating but i'm getting. Plus, I am not taking courses for PHP/MySQL like i did for advanced html and CSS.

With all that said, I couldn't suggest you any courses, the courses I took we're provided by a local college. However, I can tell you what i do as far as resources are concerned... Other than using google to find specific codes and what they do, I would scour websites that provide software or platforms that require you have knowledge in html and css, or in my case today php/mysql, fiddle with said software or platform, and refer to their documentation and knowledge databases to guide me along with what i am doing. Slowly but surely it just starts coming to you, and next thing you know you have the general knowledge to start developing basic things and through that it slowly becomes more and more advanced and the things you develop become more and more complex. Just make sure when you are fiddling, especially with files, you always make back ups but I am sure you knew that already...

Also, stay consistent. I haven't developed a website in almost 10 years, and I am trying to start my first webstore and it has been frustrating to get started... because now I have to try and remember everything, relearn everything i can't remember, and on top of that teach myself php/mysql. I think the saying "if you don't use it, you lose it" applies here...

Post by Blings » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:30 pm

I too am a complete beginner - if you know me I'm not a programmer at all but I've taken an interest into it and love it. I can strongly recommend searching for a chap on YouTube named Brad Traversy who has free videos covering most languages but for the sake of this topic CSS, I'll write about this. What editor are you coding in? I use Visual Studio code which helps me to see the CSS clearly. I think what you need to do is ensure that you understand the basics of HTML then move onto styling. Here's a free video I made which uses simple CSS to create a clean holding landing page: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpLTPhNvCgc

The reason I shared that was to have a look at how to move to the next step from one to the next - I by no means am a professional programmer at all. I've just been learning as I get on. What's also quite important is for you to take a break from doing courses continually and actually start building something yourself if you haven't already - you can only take in so much. Start building yourself a portfolio website even if you don't have a hosting account just yet. Build locally on your machine. Another great source of information is Discord... there's a programming communicated called 'Programming Discussions' which is divided into many text channels where you can read what others are asking and ask a couple questions there too.

Keep motivated and practice everyday.