Post by KTC » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:21 pm

There haven't been any patches, updates or releases in nearly a year....has development stopped?? Is opencart dead?

KTC

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:59 pm

KTC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:21 pm
....has development stopped?? Is opencart dead?
No. Just slow :)

https://github.com/opencart/opencart

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by Burt65 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:02 pm

KTC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:21 pm
There haven't been any patches, updates or releases in nearly a year....has development stopped?? Is opencart dead?
Not dead, but not as busy as in 2017 either...

Attachments

OCdev.JPG

OCdev.JPG (27.69 KiB) Viewed 6879 times

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by KTC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 pm

Its a bit worrying then, dev has practically ground to a halt.

Might be time to move back to Magento!

KTC

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:42 pm

KTC wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 pm
Is you choice.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by KTC » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:13 pm

Obviously!

I was hoping to be reassured that opencart isn't dead or dying, but even this support community cant be bothered which speaks volumes on top of the lack of dev/patches.

KTC

Post by johnp » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:45 pm

Some of us are actively using and supporting Opencart and are on here every day.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:19 am

KTC wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:13 pm
Obviously! I was hoping to be reassured that opencart isn't dead or dying, but even this
support community cant be bothered which speaks volumes on top of the lack of dev/patches.
Well, most act like you, you registered two years ago, and you made 2 Postings until now,
and they where not even about OpenCart, but about a Custom Journal Theme. :laugh:

No wonder, if a Forum is dying, under such circumstances, but who should care about
others, only coming here, to get some free assistance, never even considering, to add
anything of value to this place back in return ?! :crazy:

The only growing Thing, during the past Years, was the increasing Competition, and
the harder it gets, the less will be the amout of those, willing to share their time and
knowledge, without getting anything out of it, by nature of things.

Professionals will still find help on Github.com, if they care, to keep their Software in top
shape. But those, not able to, will more and more have to depend on professionals, like
in any other Business to. So, better take it easy, 'cause it came for free, and you probably
already made enough money with it, to cover the expenses for the Theme you bought. :D
Good Luck! ;)

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Burt65 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:09 pm

KTC wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 pm
Its a bit worrying then, dev has practically ground to a halt.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense. Just because Opencart development has slowed down, that cannot possibly affect your running business. Are you a developer or a consumer? If you are a consumer and have a perfectly running shop online, then the new development is not really relevant to you. If you are a developer, that should give you even more room to adapt and implement your ideas.. Slowing down on releasing versions of OC also allow existing developers, to kind of (catch up) by improving/modifying their own extensions. Plus if we got to be honest, every single time we got a quick release of OC that ported major changes, that did little as bug fixing. So I think is a good thing that we have slow down a bit. It gives everybody times to regroup..

The majority of people around here, just like to play with the latest gadget. They are not really interested in running an online shop as profitable business. That's normally where you see comments like yours above..
There is still a huge amount of people running OC versions 2.3 or below(including myself), all the way down to 1.5.6.5. If you are starting a business today, and you are serious about it, you still don't need the latest version of OC, so why the need to move back to Magento?
Also the fact that you said move back, does imply that you were already using Magento before, and you moved from there to here, there must have been a reason.. Is that reason really gone?

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by KTC » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:22 am

The reason I am concerned about development is because we have had a site completely compromised due to an exploited flaw in the OC software, we are "up to date" on version so the software has holes which havent been addressed.

I'm a consumer yes not a dev and i use the software on multiple commercial sites.

Magento is much higher regarded for security hence the possible move back to that, and yes we used it before and moved away as the dev costs are significant, but we never once had a security breach whilst using it.

KTC

Post by johnp » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:28 am

Did you have any security scripts running? I use Ninja firewall and CIDRAM and have found so far they have kept my Opencart sites safe. I've also installed an extension from the marketplace to protect the admin folder. Again, so far so good.

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by Burt65 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:12 pm

KTC wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:22 am
The reason I am concerned about development is because we have had a site completely compromised due to an exploited flaw in the OC software, we are "up to date" on version so the software has holes which havent been addressed.
Sorry but without any specific details the above is just speculation..
What version of OC were you running at the time?
What extensions were installed at the time?
Are you the one that found the flaw or you had a developer finding it for you?
What actually was the flaw in the software? Be specific please!
What was the result of the compromised site?
To my knowledge even the original version 1.5.6.4 has not been compromise in its original form..
I'm not saying that it didn't happen but without any details is just a bit hard to follow...

Cheers

Location - Oz

Post by htwp » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Most problems come from unknown free extensions. If you decide to stay always make a search before installing anything (Who is the dev or company? how long is in opencart? reviews etc...) . Your decision is yours of course.

Post by Burt65 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:43 am

htwp wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:49 pm
Most problems come from unknown free extensions. If you decide to stay always make a search before installing anything (Who is the dev or company? how long is in opencart? reviews etc...) . Your decision is yours of course.
Excellent advice, then again, these advices are the same as the one listed in The Opencart Marketplace

Location - Oz

Post by brukay » Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:48 am

I have been using opencart enthusiatically supporting it for over 5 years. Suddenly my extensions start to expire and when I renew them they don't work properly and the support teams cannot get them to work. I am not happy because now I am faced with an unusable website. I am not a developer and if the support team cannot fix their own extensions what do I do. ???
My own Controlpanel/user/ administrator will not let me change any settings?
My admin control panel keeps telling me that Warning: Incorrect API key!
Examples of new Extension issues
"Custom page background" expired and now my header Logo has gone with it. Surely that should not happen the Logo header was never part of their extension.
Now I have no header Logo?
"Quick Order Status Updater" was working perfectly before it expired now even their support cannot get it working so we cannot send shipping tracking.