Post by cyclops12 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:37 pm

@ OSWorX
I understand the reasons now but wouldnt it be better to seperate the non stable versions, either put them in somewhere labelled clearly NOT FOR LIVE SITES or only allow certain members to download and test them
I also know that different people will spot different problems and the more that can spot them the better
Also you stated "But as always these days, people download every piece they find, install it .. and complain afterwards that is does not work!"
Then perhaps it would be better to tell them to scrap that version and only download the latest stable one

As you have probably seen on the forums, members are asking for help to problems, some in non stable versions, and others are trying to help with different code changes then another says no thats not right, then dissagreements start which doesnt look good to read

Just thought if the non stable versions were limited to certain members then alot of these posts wouldnt be needed or seen ?

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:37 pm

Then perhaps it would be better to tell them to scrap that version and only download the latest stable one
Still, at that point, we'd need to identify that most of the problems have been reported and intended to be about the same problems while other problems are still being reported about where users encounters situations other than other users can track in order to know if the latest stable release and be considered as stable as we believe since each case are based on different scenarios.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:49 pm

Well, it all starts, by condemning, where is no longer much money to generate, at least
from the Developer-Side. And it ends, by proclaining, that latest is always best, for exactly
the same reason. It's kind of an endless loop, but that's not OC's Problem or Fault, but
more a matter, generated by OC Devs, just eager, to stay in Business, urging users, to
always move up to latest Things. So better don't blame it on others, just get down to earth.
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by cyclops12 » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:06 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:49 pm
but that's not OC's Problem or Fault, but
more a matter, generated by OC Devs, just eager, to stay in Business, urging users, to
always move up to latest Things
Ernie
That is exactly my point ernie,
people are being told that if they upgrade it will solve their present situation( whatever that may be)but in doing so more problems occur as the latest version is not stable
It would be great if they could have STABLE listed in the download page
downloads.JPG

downloads.JPG (63.47 KiB) Viewed 13573 times

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:23 am

cyclops12 wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:06 am
IP_CAM wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:49 pm
but that's not OC's Problem or Fault, but
always move up to latest Things
Ernie
That is exactly my point ernie,
people are being told that if they upgrade it will solve their present situation( whatever that may be)but in doing so more problems occur as the latest version is not stable
It would be great if they could have STABLE listed in the download page
downloads.JPG
Again, as being stable, the lease different presented scenarios as possible by forum users would need to be involved and we all know that chances are pretty low for that to happen at this point. The best option is to keep hoping that one central service could provide us all one day - despite its region.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by OSWorX » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:26 am

cyclops12 wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:37 pm
@ OSWorX
I understand the reasons now but wouldnt it be better to seperate the non stable versions, either put them in somewhere labelled clearly NOT FOR LIVE SITES or only allow certain members to download and test them
I also know that different people will spot different problems and the more that can spot them the better
Also you stated "But as always these days, people download every piece they find, install it .. and complain afterwards that is does not work!"

As you have probably seen on the forums, members are asking for help to problems, some in non stable versions, and others are trying to help with different code changes then another says no thats not right, then dissagreements start which doesnt look good to read

Just thought if the non stable versions were limited to certain members then alot of these posts wouldnt be needed or seen ?
Just to keep it simple and short: we had (and have) very fierce debates about that internally.
But the final decision is not made by me.

And about having/access to "non" stable releases: the more are working and using them, the more bugs and issues can be ironed.
All people using these versions must understand, that they are really not meant for "non-developers".

It's basically the same, when someone downloads the latest release from Github (master or dev branch) and has troubles with that.
Then writing here new posts about the issues they have, just to see after countless posts, that he (or she/it) is using a "working" release instead of reporting that directly at GitHub.
Or some very special "clever" users opens new Issues at Github, just to post there that the Icon X is not Y and has not the Color Z.

Does no matter how you do it, at the end it will never be the way others expect ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by danielb123 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 am

Hello, i`m happy to hear about new release but when do you think it will come a final version ? I hope it will be more faster and light then prev version and maybe more easy with extensions compatibility :) opencart should grab all presta users :) cheers!

Post by straightlight » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:28 am

danielb123 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:25 am
Hello, i`m happy to hear about new release but when do you think it will come a final version ? I hope it will be more faster and light then prev version and maybe more easy with extensions compatibility :) opencart should grab all presta users :) cheers!
There are no definite release date for the next version.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Jsf » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Hello,

Is OCMOD (marketplace/modification) temporary is removed from OC 3.1.x or for forever?

Jsf

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:29 pm

Jsf wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm
Hello,

Is OCMOD (marketplace/modification) temporary is removed from OC 3.1.x or for forever?
Good question! Let's hope OCmod will be gone forever, forcing 3rd party extension developers to do plugins via event handlers.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by OSWorX » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:50 pm

Looks not so, examples:
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/bl ... r.php#L163

Code: Select all

if (substr($filename, -10) != '.ocmod.zip') {
https://github.com/opencart/opencart/bl ... r.php#L185

Code: Select all

$file = DIR_STORAGE . 'marketplace/' . basename($filename, '.ocmod.zip');
But could be also only used for future packages - no time currently to look further ..

Full Stack Web Developer :: Dedicated OpenCart Development & Support DACH Region
Contact for Custom Work / Fast Support.

Guru Member

Location - Austria

Post by Jsf » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:06 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:29 pm
Jsf wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm
Hello,

Good question! Let's hope OCmod will be gone forever, forcing 3rd party extension developers to do plugins via event handlers.
Events is good, but as I know with Events you can't change twig template file? So for example, how to modify some admin template file without changing original output file to custom twig file?

Jsf

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Jsf wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:06 pm
Events is good, but as I know with Events you can't change twig template file? So for example, how to modify some admin template file without changing original output file to custom twig file?
We do that all the time. OpenCart supports view/*/before and view/*/after events, in most cases the view/*/after handlers are the easiest to use, allowing you to modify the final DOM tree.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by lordtec » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:51 am

Could you give me the link of the latest version 3.1.X for me to test ??

Post by straightlight » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:49 am

lordtec wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:51 am
Could you give me the link of the latest version 3.1.X for me to test ??
Lots of changes have been done on the master since recently. If you want to test it, download it from Github Opencart at: https://www.github.com/opencart/opencart and ensure that Master is selected in the Code tab prior to download. However, it is not quite ready for production, yet (no available dates either. Each sold separately, batteries not included!).

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Julio Cesar C G » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:36 pm

How to modify the modules and the installation package for the new system? I noticed that the Extension folder is now at the root of the store.

Location - Brazil

Post by straightlight » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:57 pm

Julio Cesar C G wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:36 pm
How to modify the modules and the installation package for the new system? I noticed that the Extension folder is now at the root of the store.
The development of this process is not yet complete. I'd wait a while longer before developing new modules. Stay tuned with the commits change.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Julio Cesar C G » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:40 am

straightlight wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:57 pm
Julio Cesar C G wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:36 pm
The development of this process is not yet complete. I'd wait a while longer before developing new modules. Stay tuned with the commits change.
Thank you.

Location - Brazil

Post by nickpapoutsis » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:32 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 pm
We do that all the time. OpenCart supports view/*/before and view/*/after events, in most cases the view/*/after handlers are the easiest to use, allowing you to modify the final DOM tree.
Can you give an example?

Let's say I want to add a single "<br>" somewhere.

Right now I can use ocmod to find the line above/below and insert my code. How will this work with events?

Post by Julio Cesar C G » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:53 pm

nickpapoutsis wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:32 am
JNeuhoff wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:00 pm
Can you give an example?

Let's say I want to add a single "<br>" somewhere.

Right now I can use ocmod to find the line above/below and insert my code. How will this work with events?
Here's an example but I haven't tested it to see if it works
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/486 ... ler-with-e

Location - Brazil