Post by Solindi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Is there any documentation for upgrading from version 2.x to 3.x?
I hope the great programmers at Opencart have not forgotten us.
If someone knows how to do it, I ask you to be kind enough to tell me the method to update it. Thank you

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:20 am

They did not forget you, but they did not advise you, to upgrade, in the first place. :D

But as long OC Users don't understand - that an UPGRADE could only function,
if an older Version OC Software has not been enhanced in any form, i.E., by adding
other Themes, Fixes, and Extensions - it's of no use, trying to tell them, to then stay
away from socalled Upgrades, if their existing System works in order.

Therefore, why should anyone care about such Dreamers, it would be just wasted time.
They want to play the free Upgrade-Game, hoping to so eventually get their Gold-Mine,
without knowing and/or doing much about it. So, let them play. And it does not really matter,
if the screw up, most of them will never be able run a successful Shop anyway. Just like in real
Life, where those usually succeed, aware of, what they are doing ! ::)

Good Luck ! ;)
Ernie
Last edited by IP_CAM on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Solindi » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:08 pm

Thank you very much for your response, we will wait to see events ...
Have a nice day

Post by linetrace » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:55 am

I am in the process of testing an upgrade from 2.3.0.2 to 3.0.2.0 and, so far, following the upgrade.txt file has been mostly accurate with a couple of exceptions:

• After copying the 'upload' directory contents (and before loading the install/upgrade URL in your browser), you need to clear out the contents of your 'system/storage/modification' directory (leaving the index.html file).
  • You will need to remove all the '.tpl' files from your installation (they're all replaced with '.twig' files).
A couple of provisos:
  • You MUST have backups of your OpenCart installation & database(s) before you begin!
  • You will likely lose/break any custom modifications/extensions/themes/etc.
I have only a custom theme in my installation that I'm upgrading, so I'm working on porting that separately. I'm definitely interested in what else might need manual intervention and how it goes for others.

Location - Winooski, VT, US

Post by JSR » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm currently running OpenCart 2.2.0.0, but I'm moving to a new server with updated Apache/PHP/MySQL, etc, so I'm taking the opportunity to upgrade to OpenCart 3.0.2.0. at the same time.

What I've done so far is to leave my 2.2 version running on my old server and have done a fresh install of 3.0.2 on the new one.

I've then gone through all the database tables and copied them across where nothing has changed, or migrated the data where something has. (There are some new tables, and a few existing tables have an extra field, or omit a field, so it's not a straightforward "replace everything".)

Now I'm tweaking and customising 3.0.2 to get it behaving how I want it, whilst I learn to use it, before I make the switch.

I'm fortunate that my current 2.2 version isn't all that active right now, so I have the time to work on the new version. I also don't use any third party extensions/mods. I learned from past upgrades that extensions/mods are a recipe for frustration and heartache when it comes time to update OC, so I try to manage without them these days.

JSR

Post by linetrace » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:09 am

That is definitely the best method. I've completed my testing of upgrading and, despite what I wrote earlier in this thread, there are a number of differences in the JavaScript files (in addition to the '.tpl' > '.twig' changes), plus all extensions & themes need updates due to some controller changes, so it's not worth trying to upgrade an existing 2.3.x install in the method suggested by the 'upgrade.txt' file.

Location - Winooski, VT, US

Post by iplocker » Tue May 12, 2020 6:33 pm

Hello.
Just when you import data table by table you have to follow a specific sequence otherwise you will have some empty fields . Except if you going to import all of them one time and then re-import them to follow the empty fields .
Thanks

Post by AnnieSteward » Thu May 14, 2020 3:49 pm

@linetrace documented a very useful direction that you need at viewtopic.php?t=186712
[DO NOT try to follow the upgrade.txt file. Enough has changed internally from 2.3.x to 3.0.x that all themes, modifications, and any other extensions will need to be upgraded separately (and few have been updated to support 3.0.x yet anyway)
Still, I would remind some of you who's considering an upgrade, 3.0.x has a lot more buggings that its precursor 2.3.x. So if your business is running well with an old platform, just keep focusing to grow your sales. Or just in case you looking for a whole different place for your store, migrating your OP to another builder is an ideal solution.

Post by straightlight » Thu May 14, 2020 6:40 pm

It's just the database that needs to be worked on when upgrading as well as the language models to ensure the cache keys are properly set. The rest all goes to features which do not prevent Opencart on keeping the sales up and running unless there's a user error.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by garyfl » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:57 am

If your system already works fine then there is no reason to upgrade. If you have no PHP errors, and no vulnerabilities then I do not see the point. You are just causing yourself more pain trying to fix everything that goes wrong that otherwise wouldn't have. You can always find patched versions of your build too, rather than upgrade to OC 3 I will personally see what I can add from the newer updated 2.3.0.2 builds if needed. Like I read on here adding an encryption file will allow me to use a higher PHP version.

TL'DR don't bother unless you have severe vulnerabilities or some serious issues. With the former, you could just use a firewall like Astra.

Edit: And as far as I know 2.3.0.2 is a very very stable build, not just for functionality but for security. Ran this since 2016 and only had one security issue and that was due to a bad extension, not OC.

Post by straightlight » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:06 am

It's possible to upgrade. It just depends how people manages their platform on their server-specific use.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON