Post by nardus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:14 pm

How is the update done from 3.0.3.2 to 3.0.3.3 and is it necessary?

Should I just upload and overwrite or should I make a brand new install?

Post by straightlight » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:49 pm

nardus wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:14 pm

I would rather suggest the use of the pre-release version as it contains 99% of the bug-fixes in it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=218204&p=788947#p788947

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by cyclops12 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:21 pm

Dont bother

Expert Member

Post by nardus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:34 pm

But how to do it? Is it just to overwrite files or is it a new install?

Post by straightlight » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:40 pm

nardus wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:34 pm
But how to do it? Is it just to overwrite files or is it a new install?
Always as a new install (and NOT on sub-domains unless using the same OC series). Then, import your Opencart database into your new database. Before running upgrade process from the install folder, however, always backup your files and database first.. Take note that upgrade processes may have to involve working on larger database size - depending on the total mount of values (approx.) you might have. Ensure the delay on your server is set to at least 5 minutes just for the upgrade. Then, restore to previous and lower value once the upgrade is done.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by litextension » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 am

nardus wrote:

We would suggest you not to make haste to upgrade and let the rest of the user community detect faulty from 3.0.3.3 first (wait for a new topic). But if you want to upgrade it right away, as mentioned above, always remember to install a fresh OpenCart first. Then use our migration tool to transfer all the data from your old OpenCart store to the new one. After that, don't forget to check the compatibility of themes and extensions with OC 3.0.3.3.

We created a video to help you better visualize the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WC8JyAJVs&t=13s

Post by straightlight » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:23 pm

litextension wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:32 am
nardus wrote:

We would suggest you not to make haste to upgrade and let the rest of the user community detect faulty from 3.0.3.3 first (wait for a new topic). But if you want to upgrade it right away, as mentioned above, always remember to install a fresh OpenCart first. Then use our migration tool to transfer all the data from your old OpenCart store to the new one. After that, don't forget to check the compatibility of themes and extensions with OC 3.0.3.3.

We created a video to help you better visualize the process
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2WC8JyAJVs&t=13s
I am not sure what you mean. The pre-release version of OC v3.0.3.4 seem to contain 99% of the bug-fixes being worked on since the past two weeks as opposed to the mount of years people used to live into persistent bugs being encountered between the releases. I'd say, at this point, that this OC version can provide the needs to the people. Any reason you'd believe that forum users should create new topics by reporting issues with OC v3.0.3.3 release by now?

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by jrr » Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:43 am

The documents (upgrade.txt) included with most copies of Opencart do not explain how to upgrade from 3.0.1 (say) to 3.0.3.x. The document only speaks to upgrading from 1.x to 3.x, or 2.x to 3.x - nothing about upgrading within 3! This is not so helpful to those of us who have any questions about the process. Not to mention that the Opencart docs on Upgrade also say nothing about upgrading within 3.x. Seriously?
So, the question becomes, how does one upgrade after adding some (paid) extensions to 3.x without having to reinstall them? In some ftp programs the process of overlaying the replacement 3.x on top of the older 3.x first erases the directories, then plants the files in the now empty (or erased) directories. And there go the addons! Possibly. Or perhaps I have that wrong, but I really don't want to overwrite my working (experimental) opencart with an updated version and run the risk of spending a few more hours reinstalling the extra extensions.
I hope you can clarify that for me - when adding extensions to 3.x are they protected in some way so the upgraded 3.x finds them and their setup data?
Thanks!

jrr

Post by straightlight » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:19 am

jrr wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:43 am
The documents (upgrade.txt) included with most copies of Opencart do not explain how to upgrade from 3.0.1 (say) to 3.0.3.x. The document only speaks to upgrading from 1.x to 3.x, or 2.x to 3.x - nothing about upgrading within 3! This is not so helpful to those of us who have any questions about the process. Not to mention that the Opencart docs on Upgrade also say nothing about upgrading within 3.x. Seriously?
So, the question becomes, how does one upgrade after adding some (paid) extensions to 3.x without having to reinstall them? In some ftp programs the process of overlaying the replacement 3.x on top of the older 3.x first erases the directories, then plants the files in the now empty (or erased) directories. And there go the addons! Possibly. Or perhaps I have that wrong, but I really don't want to overwrite my working (experimental) opencart with an updated version and run the risk of spending a few more hours reinstalling the extra extensions.
I hope you can clarify that for me - when adding extensions to 3.x are they protected in some way so the upgraded 3.x finds them and their setup data?
Thanks!
Upgrades are never full proof and requires some time to adjust. Depending on how quick but well you'd like an upgrade to be done, better to ask to get it done professionally by creating a new service request in the Commercial Support section of the forum or by contacting a reliable Opencart Partner, or by contacting me directly if you are concerned about the flexibility of your store on what it may become. We do have qualified people to accomplish such tasks on Opencart.com .

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by jrr » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:44 am

Another undocumented (at least in the zip file) annoyance. Might have mentioned that in the upgrade.txt file or somewhere...It would appear that the latest version of OpenCart only runs under PHP7+. So, not expecting that minor thing I tried upgrading my system from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3.4 where up popped the happy msg that now I need to run PHP7+. Gah. more poking around with cgi-wraps and .htaccess it would appear as I need ot run both PHP5.6 as well as PHP7.x so I can continue to test OpenCart as well as run my previous (and soon to be shut down) 0scMax site.
I did find this page relating to the issue of two PHPs, the last suggestion looks the easiest:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/426 ... ame-server

jrr

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:39 pm

jrr wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:44 am
So, not expecting that minor thing I tried upgrading my system from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3.4 where up popped the happy msg that now I need to run PHP7+. Gah.
And why you have posted on a topic with 3.0.3.3 in the title if you try to upgrade to 3.0.3.4? Gah. :laugh:
3.0.3.4 is not completed yet.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by johnp » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 pm

xxvirusxx wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:39 pm
jrr wrote:
So, not expecting that minor thing I tried upgrading my system from 3.0.2 to 3.0.3.4 where up popped the happy msg that now I need to run PHP7+. Gah.
And why you have posted on a topic with 3.0.3.3 in the title if you try to upgrade to 3.0.3.4? Gah. :laugh:
Can you look in to your crystal ball and let me know if 3.0.3.4 is any good? :)

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by straightlight » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 pm

johnp wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 pm
xxvirusxx wrote:
jrr wrote:
It is. 99% of the issues have already been resolved as I have mentioned on similar topics already. This version is being kept up-to-date with the changes to ensure the flexibility of the platform as opposed to previous OC versions.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by johnp » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 pm

Perfect. :)

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by straightlight » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:51 pm

johnp wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:46 pm
Perfect. :)
No problem. The rest just goes to the people on how updated they can be with the already provided information from the source.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by xxvirusxx » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:49 am

johnp wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:47 pm
After 15 pages of reporting bugs is more good then 3.0.3.3 :)

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by johnp » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:21 am

And version 4.0.0.1. How's that coming along? Lol. :)

Location - Surrey, UK

Post by straightlight » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:57 am

johnp wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:21 am
And version 4.0.0.1. How's that coming along? Lol. :)
We'll see once we pass the Momentum with Bootstrap versions.

Regards,
Straightlight

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by jrr » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 am

xxvirusxx wrote:
jrr wrote:
I asked about 3.0.3.4 because straightlight (sp?) recommended it (he/she is high up in the system here and the advice would be assumed to be expert as a result) and I thought that perhaps the upgrade might not be a pain.

I was used to another osCommerce (oscMax) being a fairly straightforward upgrade path between revisions as they had the SQL upgrade code as part of the package. In OpenCart this does not appear to be the way they do things.

Upgrades here are poorly documented, and the changelog_mod only lists the bugs solved.

I like the look of OpenCart and am working on switching over, but really, this upgrade business needs to be done better - my apologies if that comes across as rude - otherwise I can't see why people would be willing to upgrade from one revision t the next if it involves the amount of work that it appears to.
I am reduced to building a localhost 3.0.3.4 setup and then running a compare on that and 3.0.3.2 (what I am running) to see if there is a somewhat easy method of moving across. I should not have to purchase help from an aftermarket company like LitExtension for upgrading a revision WITHIN OpenCart although I will probably use them for porting my old oscMax to OpenCart once I find a level I am happy with. They are friendly and seem to be able to do what they say they can do.

jrr

Post by xxvirusxx » Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:28 am

jrr wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:26 am
I asked about 3.0.3.4 because straightlight (sp?) recommended it (he/she is high up in the system here and the advice would be assumed to be expert as a result) and I thought that perhaps the upgrade might not be a pain.
Asked where?

On Updating from 3.0.3.2 to 3.0.3.3 your fist message was:
jrr wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:43 am

Expert Member

Location - România