Post by M4tth1js » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:01 am

Hi all,

Like quite a number of users before me, I stumbled across the GLOB_BRACE issue.

The problem is that the GLOB_BRACE flag is *NOT* cross platform:

According to https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.glob.php, the GLOB_BRACE flag is not available on some non-GNU systems, like Solaris.
Solaris is in use by some notable internet service providers, such as e.g. Strato in Germany, which has millions of customers.
And the GLOB_BRACE flag is used in e.g. filemanager.php, theme.php, extension.php, modification.php, and in upgrade *.php files.
Those php files fail when hosted on a Solaris system.

I have a programming background, and I am willing to put effort into creating a patch that works for all those affected, while not affecting those that are not.

However, while investigating this issue, I discovered that this has been reported a number of times already, and patches have been submitted, *BUT* those reports and patches have been discarded and bug reports closed, as if it's a non-issue…

It *IS* an issue, maybe not for the 99% of users who happen to not be on a Solaris system, but it is for the 1% who are.

So, my question is: Should I start creating that solution, or should I not even bother, given how previous bug reports and pull requests have been treated?

I am willing to put time and effort and energy into this, but only if it will be seriously looked at.

Kindest regards,

Matt.

Post by letxobnav » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:35 am

The amount of time and effort you invested in this post is about the same as GLOB_BRACE requires.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 am

Have you been looking at those already ?
---
Glob_Brace workaround modification.php
viewtopic.php?t=165375
---
Fix GLOB_BRACE
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=32541
---
viewtopic.php?t=204862
https://www.google.com/search?ei=kxkmX8 ... E+Opencart
---
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by M4tth1js » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:08 am

letxobnav wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:35 am
The amount of time and effort you invested in this post is about the same as GLOB_BRACE requires.
If the effort required is so low, then why hasn't it been fixed?
And why have fixes been rejected / ignored?

Post by M4tth1js » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:12 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:45 am
Have you been looking at those already ?
---
Glob_Brace workaround modification.php
viewtopic.php?t=165375
---
Fix GLOB_BRACE
https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=32541
---
viewtopic.php?t=204862
https://www.google.com/search?ei=kxkmX8 ... E+Opencart
---
Ernie
I have seen it.
The comments under it seem to suggest it doesn't work properly.

Seriously, does OpenCart want this issue to be fixed, so OpenCart can be cross-platform, or not?

Post by letxobnav » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:17 pm

I agree with you that GLOB_BRACE should not have been used but there are numerous cases in OC that should not have been.
My point is that it is a waste of time and kind of futile to state how important it is, deliberate on whether you should or should not put effort into it and whether it will be recognized and appreciated if you do etc. etc. etc.

If you deem it important for you, then just get on with it.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by M4tth1js » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:59 am

letxobnav wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:17 pm
I agree with you that GLOB_BRACE should not have been used but there are numerous cases in OC that should not have been.
My point is that it is a waste of time and kind of futile to state how important it is, deliberate on whether you should or should not put effort into it and whether it will be recognized and appreciated if you do etc. etc. etc.

If you deem it important for you, then just get on with it.
Nothing to do with appreciation.

It has to do with: I've seen the issue raised *AND* dismissed on this forum, multiple times; should I spend valuable time on it, in the knowledge that it probably won't ever be incorporated into the code anyway, no matter how solid my code is?

But it's okay, just forget about it.
I fixed it on my end, for myself, it works for me, and for my daughter (whom I was making a website for when I encountered this bug).

Next project I'll be using a more solid project, and I'll be sure to check beforehand how friendly the community is.

Have a nice day.

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:31 am

.... and I'll be sure to check beforehand how friendly the community is.
Well, you seem to drastically over-estimate the influence of this Forum, when it comes
to tell the Chief in OC-Command, what to do. :laugh:

And when it comes to friendlyness, better don't forget, that nobody comes here,
because they're looking for friends, they come here, go hopefully get free Support.
Some cannot contact Code Sellers, because they use stolen Code, so, they try here.
And if they have been assisted, most are gone, until they run into their next problem.

It's therefore sure not a Community of Colleagues, or even friends, in Contrary, it's a
Place of Competitors. In one place Code + Wisdom Sellers, and in the other place those,
who run a Shop, in Competition with many others, doing the same. And that's about it.

The only way to survive in a Surrounding like that is, to take it, as it comes. Nobody told
anyone, to come here anyway, and/or use OpenCart Code, so, better don't expect, what
does not exist, to please one's feelings, or pay for, like in any other real Business too ... ;) :D

It's as easy as that ... :D One should just not take it personal, but try, to ACT as PRO as
possible, expecially, when it comes to deliever Figures and Facts, about what one is
using on Versions, Themes, and Mods. Then, one has a much better chance, to get some
free help.

Or then, one decides on using one of the 'older' known Oc Versions, where most Wisdom,
Knowledge, and Mods already exists. :laugh: It keeps one from depending on unknown Factors ...

Good Luck! ;)
Ernie

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by JNeuhoff » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:10 pm

M4tth1js wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:01 am
Hi all,

Like quite a number of users before me, I stumbled across the GLOB_BRACE issue.

The problem is that the GLOB_BRACE flag is *NOT* cross platform:

According to https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.glob.php, the GLOB_BRACE flag is not available on some non-GNU systems, like Solaris.
Solaris is in use by some notable internet service providers, such as e.g. Strato in Germany, which has millions of customers.
And the GLOB_BRACE flag is used in e.g. filemanager.php, theme.php, extension.php, modification.php, and in upgrade *.php files.
Those php files fail when hosted on a Solaris system.

I have a programming background, and I am willing to put effort into creating a patch that works for all those affected, while not affecting those that are not.

However, while investigating this issue, I discovered that this has been reported a number of times already, and patches have been submitted, *BUT* those reports and patches have been discarded and bug reports closed, as if it's a non-issue…

It *IS* an issue, maybe not for the 99% of users who happen to not be on a Solaris system, but it is for the 1% who are.

So, my question is: Should I start creating that solution, or should I not even bother, given how previous bug reports and pull requests have been treated?

I am willing to put time and effort and energy into this, but only if it will be seriously looked at.

Kindest regards,

Matt.
Have you raised the issue on github.com/opencart and submitted a pull request with a fix for this?

Also, if it doesn't get changed there by Daniel, perhaps you could write up a quick OCmod patch for Solaris users and make it available on the OpenCart marketplace? That's how we have done it with some features which IMHO should have been part of the OpenCart core. At least, when it's available on the OpenCart marketplace, other users can still benefit from your changes. Or you could create your own OpenCart fork on github just for Solaris users only.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by M4tth1js » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:44 am

I was under the (wrong, apparently) impression that OpenCart is (or rather: wants to be) an *Open Source* project, where people voluntarily contribute improvements, to make a product even better.
This happens e.g. with Linux, and with many, many other Open Source projects.
Open Source is everywhere, and it works.

And no, I don't see other sellers as competitors…
I am a coder, and I thought I found an Open Source project that was cool, and had a problem that I can fix.

But never mind.

My initial post was meant for me to determine if it was worth my time.
I have my answer.

Post by IP_CAM » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:32 am

My initial post was meant for me to determine if it was worth my time.
I have my answer.
Just don't take it personal, you just mis-interpreted the Word OpenSource. :laugh:
OC is just another Business Model, and, for some reason, some people voluntarily
contribute improvements. But OC is basically a One Man Show, and most people
around OC only try to generate some income out of it, in which way ever.

But as you said, even your time seems to be worth something, so, better accept OC,
as it exists, it's of no use, to get upset, because it does not meet your Expectations.
Good Luck :D
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland