Post by Jane Blonde » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 pm

I've taken over a site that has had all users imported from Wordpress, it now uses an extension from Cart2Cart to keep their passwords working.

I'd like to get rid of this by asking customers reset their passwords when then login, is this a possibility?

Post by letxobnav » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:19 pm

No idea what this is doing, still, users or customers, there is a difference.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:58 pm

Jane Blonde wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:02 pm
I'd like to get rid of this by asking customers reset their passwords when then login, is this a possibility?
That sounds like the sort of thing you'd need a developer to do so you could pay a developer such as ourselves or post a job in the Commercial Support Forum.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by Jane Blonde » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:49 pm

@letxobnav - sorry, I mean customers in both cases, I'd like to ask customers to reset their password on next login.

Post by Jane Blonde » Thu Aug 27, 2020 7:50 pm

@paulfeakins - so there's nothing already out there than can handle this? That's a shame, I thought it would be pretty easy.

Post by letxobnav » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:00 pm

Then why not clear their passwords and have them use the password forgotten function.

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by by mona » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Why not send them an email using the newsletter?

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by xxvirusxx » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:56 pm

Jane Blonde wrote:
it now uses an extension from Cart2Cart to keep their passwords working.
You should contact Cart2Cart for this mess.

Upgrade Service | OC 2.3.0.2 PHP 8 | My Custom OC 3.0.3.8 | Buy me a beer

Expert Member

Location - România

Post by cyclops12 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:25 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:58 pm
Jane Blonde wrote:
That sounds like the sort of thing you'd need a developer to do so you could pay a developer such as ourselves or post a job in the Commercial Support Forum.
Why would they need to pay a developer just to ask customers to change their passwords???
Come on paulfeakins you can’t be that hard up for work
By sending a newsletter as mona has suggested will work and it’s free

Expert Member

Post by Jane Blonde » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:32 am

letxobnav wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:00 pm
Then why not clear their passwords and have them use the password forgotten function.
I want to make is seamless, doing that makes it look like the site was hacked.

Post by IP_CAM » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:32 am

Well, Jane Blonde, if all OC Knowledge and Wisdom would come for free,
no OC Coder would probably be around here, just to add points, to secure
one's place in Paradise ... ::) :laugh:

Some Functions might be 'default' in some Software, but OC has been created
as a 'basic' Version, out of strategic reason, to leave some room for Dev's. This,
to also assure some free Co-Operation, like on Github and here at the Forum. ;)

So, better don't expect a free Full-Size Tool, but accept the System, as it works,
in order to work. It just needs to be understud, OC is not a Welfare-Project, but
just a simple Business Model, for most everybody involved. ;)

Someone will make it for you, I'm sure, it you're willing to accept a price ... 8)
It's as easy as that, to get, what you want.
Ernie

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by letxobnav » Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:06 am

well, it was, just not maliciously.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by paulfeakins » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:35 pm

cyclops12 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:25 pm
Why would they need to pay a developer just to ask customers to change their passwords???
Because as above, sending out a newsletter is a bad solution.

A better solution would be a script that fixes all the passwords without requiring the Cart2Cart extension and for that a developer will be needed if no such extension exists, which I doubt it does.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by letxobnav » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:42 pm

A better solution would be a script that fixes all the passwords
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
now we are getting into hacking territory.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan

Post by straightlight » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Jane Blonde wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:32 am
letxobnav wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:00 pm
Requesting customers to reset their password on their own does not necessarily means it would provide them the idea the site was hacked. These analogies are only based on presumptions. These requirements can also be leaded to protection algorithms improvement where store owners needs to provide the proper meaning to their customers whenever these events occurs by Engineering.

In this scenario, password algorithm has been done by integration which should never applied such ways for authenticity reasons on anyhow. If one should believe that customers may believe changing their password may provide them the impression these measures were done for lack of security, I would then fail to see how and why integrating the same password algorithm either another platform would have or the same platform but previous password algorithm would put customers in a safer position rather than asking them to change their passwords. RFC compliance changes regularly which is why, especially in a work environment or on the web, access accounts requires passwords to be change every 60-90 days on an automated basis. Opencart does not require customers to change their password on regular basis, by default, which still does not provide customers the ability to protect their account information on regular basis especially not when an integration service is being used in the process.
Last edited by straightlight on Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by by mona » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:14 pm

@Paul - I would have to suggest it is an excellent idea.

It gives a wonderful opportunity to tell your customers you have had a facelift and put back the positive spin on it and maybe even send it with an offer.
In this way you are promoting your company image as honesty and integrity as well as using the opportunity for some decent marketing strategy.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by Burt65 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:15 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:35 pm
cyclops12 wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:25 pm
Because as above, sending out a newsletter is a bad solution.

A better solution would be a script that fixes all the passwords without requiring the Cart2Cart extension and for that a developer will be needed if no such extension exists, which I doubt it does.
There is nothing above your post that does imply that sending an email (or even a newsletter) is a bad solution.. Which post above yours are you referring too?

I think Mona solution is free, simple and clean and above all, if written properly, it also gives you a chance to possibly increase sales by promoting new products or a sale... I really don't see how that can be a bad solution for a shop owner..

Over 95% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair...

Location - Oz

Post by litextension » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:38 am

Jane Blonde wrote:
I've taken over a site that has had all users imported from Wordpress, it now uses an extension from Cart2Cart to keep their passwords working.

Hi, you can use a customer password migration by LitExtension for your case. After the migration, when your customers login successfully in your site, you can remove it!
good luck!

LitExtension - Shopping Cart Migration Expert
Visit us at: https://litextension.com