Post by htwp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:28 pm

Hi,

can someone recommend a good CDN for Europe? A trial version would be perfect just to ensure that everything is working perfectly and it's fast enough for my needs. I am using more than 5 years CF (the free version) but i would like to test another. Please post your experience for the specific CDN you propose.

Thank you.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by JNeuhoff » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 pm

Do really need to slow things down with a CDN if you mainly target a specific geographic area like Europe? Cloudflare is one to stay away from.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:38 am


Post by htwp » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:45 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:35 pm
Do really need to slow things down with a CDN if you mainly target a specific geographic area like Europe? Cloudflare is one to stay away from.
What do you propose?

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by letxobnav » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 am

don't use a cdn unless you run a cms or sell digital products.
it possibly speeds up first page delivery but after that it only slows down.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 pm
Location - Taiwan

Post by htwp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:48 am

letxobnav wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:22 am
don't use a cdn unless you run a cms or sell digital products.
it possibly speeds up first page delivery but after that it only slows down.
That would it be in a normal theme but when using journal i think cdn is a must.
Time to First Byte (TTFB) what causes high ms?

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:00 am

Journal is even worse, it's bloated, slower, and not OpenCart standard compliant.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:38 am


Post by htwp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:04 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:00 am
Journal is even worse, it's bloated, slower, and not OpenCart standard compliant.
Tell me more.... hahaha
Now its too late... next update i will try another theme, but now what?
Anyway i need some info for CDN do you have any, what to try?

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:15 am

Your are probably better off not using a CDN at all, your money is better spent on a good webhost.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:38 am


Post by htwp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:21 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:15 am
Your are probably better off not using a CDN at all, your money is better spent on a good webhost.
already on dedicated.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:41 am

So what's the URL of your website? What exact performance issues do you experience with it?

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:38 am


Post by htwp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:26 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:41 am
So what's the URL of your website? What exact performance issues do you experience with it?
https://gctech.gr

Time to First Byte problem

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by IP_CAM » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:18 am

Well, it takes 1'727 Lines, full of (Page Source) Code, to generate a Journal-based Front Side, and about 1'550 Lines, to present a Journal Category Page, after looking at your Site. Compared with one of my OC v.1.5.6.5 Test Sites, which uses about 8 (nicely compressed) Lines, to deliever their Content. :laugh: So, better don't ask, but accept, what others tell you about that bulky Journal, there is no way around ... :D
Ernie

I am no longer active at the Forum. Please do NOT send me Personal Mails,
they will no longer be replied to.
My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
4'100 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest Github OC Repository Archive Site.


User avatar
Legendary Member

Posts

Joined
Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 am
Location - Switzerland

Post by letxobnav » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 am

Time to First Byte (TTFB) what causes high ms?
TTFB is determined by:
1) network latency
2) time for your server to generate and send back the page, including physical server, webserver, php processing, database, etc.

A cdn will help with getting your static assets like external css,js,images faster but only on first page load as after that the browser has those cached already, then again, journal puts most of its css inline so that is not cached anywhere.
A cdn will help with a CMS which pages are highly cachable unlike an ecommerce site.
A cdn will help with getting your digital products for download to the clients faster.

A cdn will not cache your dynamic html and as such will not speed up your TTFB, it will only slow down as the cdn acts as a mere proxy for dynamic content and as such adds an additional network hop latency to the time. That goes for all pages not just the first.

So improve point 2 as that is the only thing under your control.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 pm
Location - Taiwan

Post by htwp » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:55 pm

letxobnav wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:17 am
Time to First Byte (TTFB) what causes high ms?
TTFB is determined by:
1) network latency
2) time for your server to generate and send back the page, including physical server, webserver, php processing, database, etc.

A cdn will help with getting your static assets like external css,js,images faster but only on first page load as after that the browser has those cached already, then again, journal puts most of its css inline so that is not cached anywhere.
A cdn will help with a CMS which pages are highly cachable unlike an ecommerce site.
A cdn will help with getting your digital products for download to the clients faster.

A cdn will not cache your dynamic html and as such will not speed up your TTFB, it will only slow down as the cdn acts as a mere proxy for dynamic content and as such adds an additional network hop latency to the time. That goes for all pages not just the first.

So improve point 2 as that is the only thing under your control.
Thank you for your reply.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by chongshengdz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:06 pm

how many products do you have?
if just hundreds of, then there is not need to use a CDN.

https://www.ectransistors.com/
https://www.transistormosfet.com/


Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:18 pm


Post by htwp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:01 am

almost 16.000 products including disabled

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by letxobnav » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:08 am

number of products has no bearing on the decision to use cdn or not. cdn is an external geo-optimized cache, not an website optimization tool.
It is great for geo-caching your static assets like fonts/css/js/images even static html and as such deliver them faster when requested (on first request only that is).
But the browser will only request them after it is has your dynamic html which contains those references (unless you use http/2 asset push) and that is after your TTFB has elapsed. Only ways to reduce TTFB is optimize your site or page cache your dynamic html and the latter is not an option for 99% of your OC pages.

number of products does have a bearing on your database performance if you have not optimized that.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 pm
Location - Taiwan

Post by htwp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:16 pm

letxobnav wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:08 am
number of products has no bearing on the decision to use cdn or not. cdn is an external geo-optimized cache, not an website optimization tool.
It is great for geo-caching your static assets like fonts/css/js/images even static html and as such deliver them faster when requested (on first request only that is).
But the browser will only request them after it is has your dynamic html which contains those references (unless you use http/2 asset push) and that is after your TTFB has elapsed. Only ways to reduce TTFB is optimize your site or page cache your dynamic html and the latter is not an option for 99% of your OC pages.

number of products does have a bearing on your database performance if you have not optimized that.
What about theme bigshop?

Do you have any in mind, but please just don't tell me to start with default opencart it is too too simple.

Thank you for your time to reply.

Active Member

Posts

Joined
Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:29 am

Post by JNeuhoff » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:04 pm

What about theme bigshop?

Do you have any in mind, but please just don't tell me to start with default opencart it is too too simple.
Almost any theme other than Journal3 looks better. You can quickly see the ugly and bloated look&feel of a Journal3 site.

The argument that a theme can be too simple is somewhat strange. Any complicated look&feel of a web theme will deter users.

A theme needs a clean and easy to navigate interface where the end user can come quickly to the wanted page or product. Bigshop looks better than Journal, and is way easier to manage judging by its admin demo.

If you can, try to stay away from the Themeforest or Envato Market sites, these sites are a bit dodgy, I know of past examples how they sometimes sell stolen software items.

Override Engine * Integrated VQMod * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Rich Snippets * Google Tag Manager * Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Survey Plus


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:38 am


Post by letxobnav » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:07 pm

Our credo is "if your website looks better than your products, you are in the wrong business".

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.


User avatar
Expert Member

Posts

Joined
Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:35 pm
Location - Taiwan
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jrr and 25 guests