Post by qasim123 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm

Hi guys,

I am facing another issue. Another developer had made changes to an open cart installation however he did these changes in the cached modification folder instead of the actual files, thus on refresh causing all changes to disappear. Unfortunately they did not document these changes either however, they are mainly to the admin folder. Of course there are other variable to look for but which i am not sure.

I didnt know whether this would work so i tried, essentially i copied the cache files and overwrote the core files with these cache files, leaving the ones which arent cached there, however now on refresh of the mods i get an error 500, till i replace the files with the older cache one. Errors are enabled however i still see none just an error 500.

p.s i still have a backup of all the core files i overwrote.

Thanks

Post by sw!tch » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 pm

500 errors would be in your server PHP error log. They usually reside in the root of your webspace in logs folder.

Unless you pulled the storage/modification files from a backup prior to the refresh, the manual changes are gone.

If you have a backup of the modification folder prior to the refresh, you would have a better chance to compare and recover it.

Full Stack Web Developer :: Send a PM for Custom Work.
Backup and learn how to recover before you make any changes!

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:50 pm

qasim123 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm
Another developer had made changes to an open cart installation however he did these changes in the cached modification folder instead of the actual files, thus on refresh causing all changes to disappear.
Then I would say this person is NOT a "developer" and you should never work with them again.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by qasim123 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:35 pm

sw!tch wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 pm
500 errors would be in your server PHP error log. They usually reside in the root of your webspace in logs folder.

Unless you pulled the storage/modification files from a backup prior to the refresh, the manual changes are gone.

If you have a backup of the modification folder prior to the refresh, you would have a better chance to compare and recover it.
I do have the modification files from a backup, ive compared them i find quite a few differences however i then replaced the actual core files with the backup modification files i had giving me the 500 error.

I could not see anything in the error logs before, however i will take another look.

Thanks

Post by qasim123 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 pm

paulfeakins wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:50 pm
qasim123 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm
Another developer had made changes to an open cart installation however he did these changes in the cached modification folder instead of the actual files, thus on refresh causing all changes to disappear.
Then I would say this person is NOT a "developer" and you should never work with them again.
Unfortunately the damage is done. Fortunately i do still have the modification files but i dont really want to replace them everytime there is a refresh

Post by straightlight » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:42 pm

qasim123 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:35 pm
sw!tch wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:27 pm

I do have the modification files from a backup, ive compared them i find quite a few differences however i then replaced the actual core files with the backup modification files i had giving me the 500 error.

I could not see anything in the error logs before, however i will take another look.

Thanks
Error 500 can mostly be seen in the access logs rather than the error logs. I would suggest to look in there and look for recent 500 indexes on the list based on the server date and time the event occurred.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm

qasim123 wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:36 pm
Unfortunately the damage is done. Fortunately i do still have the modification files but i dont really want to replace them everytime there is a refresh
You could pay a proper developer to convert them in to OCMODs or vQmods.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by khnaz35 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:34 pm

What changes for those?

Urgent Questions shoot here: khnaz35@gmail.com
Enjoy nature ;) :) :-*

Location - Malaysia

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:43 pm

If you still have the backup of your modification files, then compare them with the original OpenCart files and write up OCmod XML files to describe the differences, or convert your changes to event handlers. You can find a professional developer on the commercial support section of the OpenCart forum.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by letxobnav » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:23 pm

If you add the retrieved/recovered modification file to your modification directory and it gives a 500, no use converting it to a cmod.

Better let it stay there while troubleshooting the 500 error by checking your php error log (not your oc error log and certainly not your access log).
Then, after you have identified and fixed the error, rewrite it to a ocmod or event or vqmod and install that.
Refreshing the modifications will then erase all files in the modification directory and rebuild them.

Crystal Light Centrum Taiwan
Extensions: MailQueue | SUKHR | VBoces

“Data security is paramount at [...], and we are committed to protecting the privacy of anyone who is associated with our [...]. We’ve made a lot of improvements and will continue to make them.”
When you know your life savings are gone.

Expert Member

Location - Taiwan