Post by Gobbo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:10 am

Okay, thanks, thats fixed, but I still can't get the home page working.

Using opencart 3.0.3.2 - PHP 7.4 - Standard Template - Add to Cart Enable Disable Out of Stock Product 3.x - Export/Import Tool (V3.22) for OpenCart 3.x - Footer Social Media Link( 3.x ) v1.0

Post by by mona » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:45 am

Yes we know, that was another goose chase. I genuinely care when it is what I perceive as a priority - but in the nicest possible way - you are not helping, I also appreciate that is not exactly your fault.

Please understand we are completely blind. You are asking a blind man to find your glasses in a jumble sale -
First we understood your layouts are not working, now its your homepage. Actually its your menu as well, which is what is really throwing me, but could you be very clear. So we narrow this down and focus on the issue itself.

You have no logs .. you have checked ALL your logs, not just the error logs.
This is a problem, so please make sure that you have checked.

Second - why is your menu not working? Do you have one?
Third if it is just your homepage - what is on your homepage? I am sure Sw!ch has asked that.
Have you tried to remove the elements one by one? I suggested before custom html - this is an obvious error that can cause this. Do you have a custom html module in there?
Another would be something with your layouts - new positions?
Did you mess with your routes maybe?
Another would be your menu? Is there something edited there?

Whatever it is IT IS NOT OPENCART - there are thousands upon thousands of possibilities here that you could have installed or created yourself - and it is highly unlikely to be something off-par - so goose chases may fix other things - but those are for new posts. This post is about layouts -

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by straightlight » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:00 am

You are asking a blind man to find your glasses in a jumble sale -
I like that analogy. If only jumble sales wouldn't be closed at this time, due to COVID, I would of use that e.g myself. ;)

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Gobbo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:12 am

Well it's all there, click on site map, but not on the home page.

Using opencart 3.0.3.2 - PHP 7.4 - Standard Template - Add to Cart Enable Disable Out of Stock Product 3.x - Export/Import Tool (V3.22) for OpenCart 3.x - Footer Social Media Link( 3.x ) v1.0

Post by Gobbo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:47 am

Well it's all there, click on a item via the site map, in the footer.

But when I set up and save the categories, in layouts, to display on the homepage they don't show.

Post by by mona » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 am

@Straightlight - ;) Totally surreal, floods, locus, the plague - I am sure I took the red pill .. my head does hurt, but I cant seem to find a socket and I have checked !!!

@Gobbo
Please be very clear.
You do not have a top bar menu because you have not put any categories into the top level category - i.e. in categories you have not ticked the TOP box, and this is intensional - Is this correct?
What you are trying to do is have categories in the left (or right) column on your homepage. Is this correct?
The only thing you have in layouts on your homepage is the menu you are unable to add. Is this correct?
You have never had the menu in the column - it did not just disappear?

Can you do a screenshot of what exactly is in the layouts of your home - the whole page please to include the route

Are you aware you have to click the blue button twice - the dropdown adds the element then you click the blue add button (so you see two of them) and then you save. Screenshots attached.

Attachments

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 00.11.47.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 00.11.47.png (14.89 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 00.11.45.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 00.11.45.png (20.07 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:20 am

You are asking a blind man to find your glasses in a jumble sale
Just calm down and take it easy Mona, :D it's the 'global' climate, what tends to
make us all a little nervous ... :crazy: :laugh:
You all have a great sunday, it's time for me, to hit the bed ... :D

My Github OC Site: https://github.com/IP-CAM
5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by straightlight » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:25 am

by mona wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:17 am
@Straightlight - ;) Totally surreal, floods, locus, the plague - I am sure I took the red pill .. my head does hurt, but I cant seem to find a socket and I have checked !!!
Simple. On your next Journey in the Matrix, just take Morpheus' advise; take the blue pill.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by Gobbo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:20 pm

by mona wrote:

@Gobbo
Please be very clear.
You do not have a top bar menu because you have not put any categories into the top level category - i.e. in categories you have not ticked the TOP box, and this is intensional - Is this correct?
What you are trying to do is have categories in the left (or right) column on your homepage. Is this correct?
The only thing you have in layouts on your homepage is the menu you are unable to add. Is this correct?

Can you do a screenshot of what exactly is in the layouts of your home - the whole page please to include the route

Are you aware you have to click the blue button twice - the dropdown adds the element then you click the blue add button (so you see two of them) and then you save. Screenshots attached.
Yes, that is what I have been doing.

But just showing up on the home page.

Post by Gobbo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:21 pm

Gobbo wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:20 pm
by mona wrote:

@Gobbo
Please be very clear.

Yes, that is what I have been doing.

But just showing up on the home page.
But not showing up on the home page.

Post by Gobbo » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:46 pm

Okay, I figured it out, it's the 'Route' not being saved in 'Layouts' when I set one up.

Or when I update the 'Route' it doesn't save the changes.

Post by by mona » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:54 am

Not very clear what you have done.
I do not understand why you are so protectionist about providing information.

Yes routes have been covered in this post a couple of times.
To the best of my knowledge there is nothing wrong with the Opencart route system and I use it A LOT with the modules I create.
So I will assume your issue is you are trying to force it to do things that it won’t work.

Remove all other routes in the home other than common/home
Remove any common/home from other routes.

If you are trying to add product/category to the home route - then you will have to remove the category layout for that to work - which I do not advise you do. That is not to say it can’t or should not be done, but you need to understand an awful lot more about the opencart system before trying to work around it rather than just add a layout twice.

@Straightlight & @IP_CAM : :)

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by Gobbo » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:26 pm

But adding the route twice is the only way it'll save.

Didn't have this problem with V2.

Post by by mona » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 am

Layouts had a big upgrade in OC3, but they do not cause problems because of it.
No you do not have to add routes twice, you select a module and then add it (effectively that could be called twice)

If you are not able to create screenshots, you must be very clear with you words.

So again - you can not include the same ROUTE in two places -
You must select a module and then add it - it is just the way it works ..

If your route is not saving you messed something up somewhere - go through all your routes and check.

Attachments

Screen-Shot-2021-01-11-at-15.47.51.png

Screen-Shot-2021-01-11-at-15.47.51.png (53.22 KiB) Viewed 1315 times

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:36 am

Why then did you move up in the first Place? :laugh:

5'200 + FREE OC Extensions, on the World's largest private Github OC Repository Archive Site.

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Gobbo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:19 am

by mona wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 am
Layouts had a big upgrade in OC3, but they do not cause problems because of it.
No you do not have to add routes twice, you select a module and then add it (effectively that could be called twice)

If you are not able to create screenshots, you must be very clear with you words.

So again - you can not include the same ROUTE in two places -
You must select a module and then add it - it is just the way it works ..

If your route is not saving you messed something up somewhere - go through all your routes and check.
[

Attachments

ss1.JPG

This is how I have to save to enable it. - ss1.JPG (70.57 KiB) Viewed 1274 times

Post by Gobbo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:23 am

IP_CAM wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:36 am
Why then did you move up in the first Place? :laugh:
As I was used to V2, thought V3 would be as easy as that was. But didn't know the database's weren't compatible, so everything I had set-up was lost and that was only the start of my problems :o

Post by IP_CAM » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:33 am

As I was used to V2, I thought V3 would be as easy as that was
Well, after beeing around OC for such a long time already, you should have known better.
Or then, at least not kill a working Version, just to belong to 'latest' Testers again... :crazy:

The only consolation for you could be, to obviously belong to a large Crowd, doing such,
in their naive hope, that Latest is always best. Despite of the known Fact, that OC always
relied on Testers, to find Problems in their latest Releases. It's most likely the only reason,
why OC comes for free, otherways, they would not be so stupid, to give away their Work for
free.

If new OC Releases would only have a price Tag of 20 US-Bucks, tha vast Majority of Users
would probably not move up, or then, like in the case of Journal, only try, to get a Darknet
Copy. But it makes no sense, to argue about it, they all have to find out the hard way, and
that's the only good thing about it, because it also creates Jobs for OC Dev's. :laugh:

So, next time, better keep, what's working already, and only use 'latest' for Tests, until they
are really proven to work. And to find out about that, just visit the Github.com OC Site, to
see, how much it possibly still takes, to have 'em work as planned. It will, at best, keep you
from getting a lot of (unpaid) frustrations. ;)

Good Luck, nothing personal, just figured ... :D
Ernie

Legendary Member

Location - Switzerland

Post by Gobbo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 pm

Thanks for the information, I just thought there wouldn't be problems as I was uploading on to my site via my hosters, how wrong was I 🤣

The problem is I need to get this site working ASAP, as with lockdown my bricks and mortar shop isn't open.

But I guess I have to start from scratch for a forth time.

Post by by mona » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:03 pm

Gobbo wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 pm
I just thought there wouldn't be problems as I was uploading on to my site via my hosters
If that means you did not use a download from Opencart then that was a mistake.
If you choose to do it yourself you will learn a lot on the way, but there is also a professionals get paid, so you are unlikely to get that much sympathy from people who have spent years gaining knowledge and expertise from trial and error as well as kind assistance and the extensive use of our friend google (which is in fact kind assistance of others!)

No the databases are not the same, nor is the filing system - that is why they are different versions and in the case of OC2 to OC3 the front end language has changed.

If you have a small site with few products you might find it much quicker to just start again (using the official OC copy) and not transfer. Note be careful what you copy and paste from - you do not want the html tags, use a basic editor like notepad.

DISCLAIMER:

Expert Member