Post by ri2k » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:08 am

I am using 3.0.3.6

I want to add a 'country', and/or 'city' field to the review section. I read this can be done using codes to one of the files. Can someone provide me some help with the codes, such as which files I need to edit and the codes I need to change/add.

I saw a post on this exact same problem but it was for an earlier version. Here is the original thread - viewtopic.php?t=58425

Thank you!

Post by straightlight » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 am

I would not suggest that since it would affect customer's confidential information agreement act. Besides, any guests / customers could simply select any countries (even a bot) that may not be relative with their actual location. Which means, you'd be gathering invalid data on your database regarding the locations.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by ri2k » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:30 am

Well, I think the mere location does very little to affect one's privacy. I am not planning on displaying their whole address, phone number or anything. People can't really be traced by simply knowing their country of residence.

Because many websites display the country of the residence. For exmaple, Ali express.

straightlight wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:26 am
I would not suggest that since it would affect customer's confidential information agreement act. Besides, any guests / customers could simply select any countries (even a bot) that may not be relative with their actual location. Which means, you'd be gathering invalid data on your database regarding the locations.

Post by straightlight » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:02 am

ri2k wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:30 am
Well, I think the mere location does very little to affect one's privacy. I am not planning on displaying their whole address, phone number or anything. People can't really be traced by simply knowing their country of residence.

Because many websites display the country of the residence. For exmaple, Ali express.

straightlight wrote:
That still won't exclude the fact that, regardless which websites have this feature built-in, it won't prevent users to submit an invalid location.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by ri2k » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:26 am

straightlight wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:02 am
ri2k wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:30 am

straightlight wrote:
That still won't exclude the fact that, regardless which websites have this feature built-in, it won't prevent users to submit an invalid location.
Okay, thanks for your comment. But I wasn't looking for legal or logistics advice. I was just hoping someone could help me with the codes.

Post by paulfeakins » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:49 pm

ri2k wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:08 am
I read this can be done using codes to one of the files.
You can wait for someone to tell you how to do this for free here or you could pay a developer such as ourselves or post a job in the Commercial Support Forum.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom