Post by p419 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:12 am

Hello All,

We're looking at upgrading from Version 3.0.3.1 to Version 3.0.3.8. Currently on PHP Version 7.4.30 & MySQL Version 10.2.44-MariaDB.
When we originally installed Open Cart we renamed our Admin folder, which has has worked without issue since we did it.

Will the OpenCart Upgrade script work with a renamed Admin folder?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

Paul

Location - Toronto

Post by straightlight » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:40 am

p419 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:12 am
Hello All,

We're looking at upgrading from Version 3.0.3.1 to Version 3.0.3.8. Currently on PHP Version 7.4.30 & MySQL Version 10.2.44-MariaDB.
When we originally installed Open Cart we renamed our Admin folder, which has has worked without issue since we did it.

Will the OpenCart Upgrade script work with a renamed Admin folder?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
OC 4 doesn't have a rename admin folder feature implemented (yet?). Earlier OC versions don't have this feature built-in either, unfortunately.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by jrr » Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:14 pm

I've come to regret renaming the /admin directory to /NewAdminName - a few extensions don't like it and there have been other problems as a result.

So I'm planning on returning to /admin and use .htpasswd and .htaccess files to protect access and adjust the permissions too. Cpanel is one of the easier ways to do the password protecting of a directory, but it isn't hard to search for examples if one doesn't have Cpanel on one's domain host.

Here is one example...https://tutorialsclass.com/htaccess-pas ... directory/ there are many...

jrr

Post by straightlight » Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:18 am

jrr wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:14 pm
I've come to regret renaming the /admin directory to /NewAdminName - a few extensions don't like it and there have been other problems as a result.

So I'm planning on returning to /admin and use .htpasswd and .htaccess files to protect access and adjust the permissions too. Cpanel is one of the easier ways to do the password protecting of a directory, but it isn't hard to search for examples if one doesn't have Cpanel on one's domain host.

Here is one example...https://tutorialsclass.com/htaccess-pas ... directory/ there are many...
Take note that .htpassword is not the best solution to cover your admin folder with a password. Rather, you should use a reputable extension from the Marketplace to achieve this.

Dedication and passion goes to those who are able to push and merge a project.

Regards,
Straightlight
Programmer / Opencart Tester

Legendary Member

Location - Canada, ON

Post by p419 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:53 pm

straightlight wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:40 am

OC 4 doesn't have a rename admin folder feature implemented (yet?). Earlier OC versions don't have this feature built-in either, unfortunately.
Thanks for the reply!
You mention that it doesn't have a "rename admin folder feature". I've already renamed my admin to something else, so will the upgrade script work or should I change the name back to Admin?

Regards,

Paul

Location - Toronto

Post by johnp » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:07 am

I find this to be a good admin security solution. I also install a firewall which coves the whole OC installation:

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... n_id=21371

Opencart 1.5.6.5/OC Bootstrap Pro/VQMOD lover, user and geek.
Affordable Service £££ - Opencart Installs, Fixing, Development and Upgrades
Plus Ecommerce, Marketing, Mailing List Management and More
FREE Guidance and Advice at https://www.ecommerce-help.co.uk

Location - Surrey, UK