Post by Cue4cheap » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:46 am

All,

There is an extension that I am interested in but as I look to the future I don't know if the extension will be supported. The last I see that developer logged in was 22 Aug 22. As best as I can tell the extension requires VQMod for all version of the extension and IDK if VQmod is going to be supported into 4.x versions.

Thank you,
Mike

cue4cheap not cheap quality

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm

In general, there hasn't been a need for VQmod since OpenCart 3. Extensions developers should make some efforts and use event handlers. Most extensions relying on VQmod tend to be of poor quality.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Cue4cheap » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:33 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:50 pm
In general, there hasn't been a need for VQmod since OpenCart 3. Extensions developers should make some efforts and use event handlers. Most extensions relying on VQmod tend to be of poor quality.
Mostly agree but with OCMod going away in 4.x versions it might make a "comeback". I find events a bit too much for simple changes. But that is a different subject :-)
This developer has been around for a long time but with their absence I fear they may have gone away from OC or have health issues. I don't know them personally but they are an forum admin and have posted quite a bit in the past but haven't been on in over 5 months.
Mike

Expert Member

Post by Johnathan » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:18 pm

I'm assuming you're talking about Qphoria. :) As far as I know he's still around, but doesn't check the forum much. I believe he's still supporting all his extensions, though he may take a few days to respond (from what I've heard from others). He answered my last e-mail quickly (a few months ago) if that means anything.

As for vQmod, it will be required for some extensions in 4.0. Most things can be converted to Events, but some of my extensions just cannot work that way, so I will have to use vQmod. The Events system may expand in future versions, which would help, but I can tell you that vQmod works just fine in 4.0 in all my tests.

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by JNeuhoff » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:45 am

but some of my extensions just cannot work that way, so I will have to use vQmod
Just curious: What kind of extensions? What are they trying to modify?

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by Cue4cheap » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:52 am

Johnathan wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:18 pm
I'm assuming you're talking about Qphoria. :) As far as I know he's still around, but doesn't check the forum much. I believe he's still supporting all his extensions, though he may take a few days to respond (from what I've heard from others). He answered my last e-mail quickly (a few months ago) if that means anything.
Yes, that is who it is.
Thank you for the info. I personally like VQ/OC Mod. They make managing my site easy and also make my extensions I made easy too. I guess I should get with the times and learn events but they are something that just hasn't clicked when I look them over. They seem like a lot of additional work. especially for simple changes.
Thank you,
Mike

Expert Member