Post by Joe1234 » Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:49 am

Is the Lighthouse feature in devtools dependable or worth following? If so should it be used as the bible or a general guidance?

For the most part, all my stats are mid 90s. But sometimes my performance or best practices drops to the upper 80s and it gives me different results. I'm not talking about overall performance, I'm talking about static things that it SHOULD always see. But one time it will give me a pass, next time it will see it, another time it will see something it never said was a problem before.

Today for example, I hooked my laptop up to my monitor rig (doing multiple things) and after some edits I ran a test. The results showed me things that shouldn't have been impacted by my edits, and things that were blatantly untrue, saying I was missing things that were in fact in place. Many tests resulted in the same thing. I unhooked the monitors and ran the test again...the errors didn't show. I hooked the monitors back up...the errors didn't show.

Has anyone else experienced this? ...not necessarily the monitor issue because that's the first time I've seen this, but other things pop up that never happened before? Is there something else I should use to audit my site besides this?
Last edited by Joe1234 on Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1
I'm here for a reason, if your response is contact a/the developer, just don't reply.

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:45 pm

Joe1234 wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:49 am
saying I was missing things that were in fact in place.
Sounds either misconfigured or not ready for use.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by halfhope » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:25 am

Hi!

Lighthouse shows floating results, it depends on the actual page load speed (different from time to time). The lighthouse guidelines are advisory in nature, but there is much to learn. It's like good manners.

My extensions in marketplace. [ security | flexibility | speedup ]

Location - San Diego

Post by Joe1234 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:47 pm

So depending on how fast the page loads at the particular time, for example a slow loading time because I'm running a heavy load on my computer at that particular moment, lighthouse will start looking at other things that it didn't look at before when the page loaded faster when I didn't have a heavy load on my computer?

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1
I'm here for a reason, if your response is contact a/the developer, just don't reply.

Post by by mona » Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:26 pm

Joe1234 wrote:
Is the Lighthouse feature in devtools dependable or worth following? If so should it be used as the bible or a general guidance?
General guidance

Joe1234 wrote:
Has anyone else experienced this?
yes everyone
https://developers.google.com/web/tools ... ariability

Joe1234 wrote:
Is there something else I should use to audit my site besides this?
There is no should, but there are many tools available free and paid - search google for web speed test.

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by k2tec » Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:29 pm

I prefer Firefox with webdeveloper.

Post by Joe1234 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:17 am

Thanks.

v3.0.3.9 php 8.1