Post by ArtGallery » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:05 pm

I would like to change the current database being used on a newly installed OC 3.0.3.1, to a completely different one on the same server that is being used by another OC 3.0.3.1 installation. If the change works, I will not be accessing it by the older installation anymore.

What is the easiest way to do that? A link to a tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Is there a chance that the database can be corrupted by accessing it with the new installation?
Last edited by ArtGallery on Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by SohBH » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:11 pm

Provided that both database have same prefix and from fresh installation
http://docs.opencart.com/en-gb/tools/backup/

Business Web Development | Content Creation | Analytics and Reporting | SEO

Location - Malaysia

Post by ArtGallery » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:38 pm

I really need to just change the database that the new install of 3.0.3.1 is using if that is possible.

Thanks for the suggestion but I have tried that already. Unfortunately the built in OC 3.0.3.1 backup and restore in the source installation won't work and hasn't been working for some time. The Export/Import extension I have been using for many years is also not working.

https://www.opencart.com/index.php?rout ... _license=0

That is why I am trying to assign the old database to the new installation so I can then export it to a new OC 3.0.3.8 by using the Export/Import extension which is working in the new installation.

If the built in backup and restore was working - the target installation does not have the same prefix, but I suppose I could do a whole new OC 3.0.3.1. reinstallation with that set the same.

Post by by mona » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:47 pm

your config.php files both in root and admin connect to the database
ArtGallery wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:38 pm
That is why I am trying to assign the old database to the new installation so I can then export it to a new OC 3.0.3.8 by using the Export/Import extension which is working in the new installation.
Likely to be an issue with the database so that logic might fail .. but you can try

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by JNeuhoff » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:49 pm

Why do you even want to install another OC 3.0.3.1 with the same database when your end goal is an upgrade to 3.0.3.8?

Just export your old product data off the old server, and import to the new OC 3.0.3.8 one, see also our FAQ on how to do that.

Export/Import Tool * SpamBot Buster * Unused Images Manager * Instant Option Price Calculator * Number Option * Google Tag Manager * Survey Plus * OpenTwig

Guru Member

Post by paulfeakins » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:18 pm

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:49 pm
Why do you even want to install another OC 3.0.3.1 with the same database when your end goal is an upgrade to 3.0.3.8?

Just export your old product data off the old server, and import to the new OC 3.0.3.8 one, see also our FAQ on how to do that.
Sounds like it might be worth paying a developer from Commercial Support for something like this.

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by ArtGallery » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:22 am

JNeuhoff wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:49 pm

If I could figure out how to export the data I would do that. As noted above, I have no way to export the data.

Export/Import extension is installed but does not show up in the menu area. I have followed the instructions exactly.
Built in Backup / Restore does not function

I am looking for a way to connect an empty installation of OC 3.0.3.1 with a working Export/Import extension installed to the current database that is working perfectly on the front end and on the back end other than the inability to back it up using the two methods above. If I can do that then I will be able to export that needed data and import it easily into the new install of 3.0.3.8.

If there is some other way besides that idea, to take the exported database using cPanel (NOT using OpenCart since I cannot do that) and import it into a working OC 3.0.3.1 or a newly installed OC 3.0.3.1 or a newly installed 3.0.3.8 - or duplicate the existing database and connect to it with the new install of OC 3.0.3.1 - or any other way to do it that doesn't involve exporting the database from the Admin of the current OC 3.0.3.1, would appreciate a link that explains how to do it. I am not able to find one that doesn't involve exporting directly from OC which as noted I can't do.

Post by SohBH » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:15 pm

Hi,
You can compared product related database table on phpmyadmin, make some adjustment before export.
This is how you can migrate database from any Opencart version.

Or you can email me your detail if you need more help.

Business Web Development | Content Creation | Analytics and Reporting | SEO

Location - Malaysia

Post by ArtGallery » Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:44 pm

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I found the reason that the built in OpenCart backup / restore was not working. It was using too many resources on my shared hosting account.

I also got the Export/Import extension working by disabling all my extensions, then deleting the uploaded extension file for the Export/Import and reinstalling the latest version.