Post by ArtGallery » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:46 pm

I have never used VQMOD in the past with various older OC versions. I have now updated my OC installation to 3.0.3.8 and have been wondering about whether I should install VQMOD. So far I have not needed any extensions that require VQMOD but am considering trying at least one that does. Some questions....

Is VQMOD compatible with OC 3.0.3.8 or is the functionality of VQMOD already "built in" to 3.0.3.8?
Any concerns with installing VQMOD in OC 3.0.3.8 such as incompatibility with some non VQMOD extensions or other issues?
What is the best way / extension to install VQMOD for OC 3.0.3.8?

Post by by mona » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:27 am

OCMOD is installed by default on OC 3.0.3.8 (and all other OC3 versions)
Whilst vQmod and OCMOD can be used together this requires some skill and if you do not know what you are doing can cause more harm than good
NB. There is also a built in editor, which again can be used with OCMOD (&/or) vQmod but requires more skill and can do even more harm than good.

Why would you want to install vQmod if you have not used it before and have no extensions that require it ?
In summary, if you are asking the question, especially in light of the above, the answer would be a resounding no, do not install vQmod.

IF for some reason in the future you must have an extension which is highly unlikely to only be available for OC3.0.3.8 using vQmod - then you can worry about it.

As for your "thinking about extension" - if it is made for OC3 and it is only available in vQmod, the bigger question would be why is it only available in vQmod ?

DISCLAIMER:
You should not modify core files .. if you would like to donate a cup of coffee I will write it in a modification for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84

Expert Member

Post by Johnathan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:33 am

vQmod works fine in 3.0.3.8. You can use it alongside ocMod files and it will work fine. Two mods can still modify the same line which can cause conflicts, but that can happen with two ocMod files as well.

The only thing to keep an eye on is the /vqmod/checked.cache file. If your storage directory is located outside your OpenCart root, it can start growing very large. If that happens, you'll either want to move your storage directory back into the OpenCart root, or manually clear that file every so often (or create some code to auto-clear it).

Image Image Image Image Image

Administrator

Post by paulfeakins » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:27 pm

Johnathan wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:33 am
manually clear that file every so often (or create some code to auto-clear it).
It's never a good idea to do anything manually, I'd suggest this fix instead:
https://github.com/vqmod/vqmod/pull/152 ... 96642652b1

UK OpenCart Hosting | OpenCart Audits | OpenCart Support - please email info@antropy.co.uk

Guru Member

Location - London Gatwick, United Kingdom

Post by ArtGallery » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:29 am

Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. So far I have not found an extension that I really want / need that says it needs VQMOD, so until that happens, I won't install it.